Historic vs. Standard...difference?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lpengineer, Jan 20, 2006.

1. lpengineer

lpengineer Member

I was wondering if the quality between the Gibson Historic ('58 / '59)(Reissue...is there a diff?) was vastly different from the Regular LP Standard. I have been a fan of the LP sound, which in turn, led me to purchase some LP Standards. Currently, I have a '91 and '95 LP Standard (which I love) but lately I have been reading posts about the superb quality of the Reissues ('58 / '59).

I have never played a Reissue, but was wondering if someone could comment on the major differences/ or playing feel? In particular, I know that certain items are different (ex., PU's, pots, weight, etc.). Also, I am referring to the typical Reissues (if they call 'em that), not the Brazilian wood, etc. Any comments would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Aaron

2. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

First of all, my perception from reading (especially over at the Les Paul Forum) is that the Historics are more consistent and that you have to look long and hard to find a non Historic LP that really measures up. There are some quality control stories over at the LP forum that really make you wonder what Gibson is thinking.

That being said, I recently traded in my 59 Historic as part of a trade to get a new amplifier. My goal was to get an amp and a "player" LP that I wouldn't be afraid to play out with.

I was lucky enough to stumble on a used LP Std here in town with the big 59 neck and from a functional guitar perspective, its 95% of what the Historic was (for about 50% of the dough). The Historic just had a little better feel; but other than that, its a push.

Maybe I was lucky, the first regular LP that I bumped into did the trick.

3. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I own both a Historic R7 and a Premium Plus Standard. I took the R7 with me when I went Standard shopping in 2002. I tried out about a dozen Standards. I compared each one to the R7 and eventually bought the one that was the closest to the R7 performance wise. Obvisiously the 2 guitars sound somewhat different from each other due to the differences in pickups, etc. The Standard hangs in there very nicely with the R7. They are both excellent, useable instruments. Slightly different takes on a classic guitar.
    After trying all those Standards I only found 1 that had a noticeable cosmetic flaw and it was pretty minor. So I found the Standards to be very consistant at that time. I too have heard the horror stories about Gibsons quality control. I'm sure there's some dogs out there I just didn't find any at that time.

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

The extended neck tenon makes the Historics worth a look. Jimmy's Les Paul? Pearly Gates? Bloomfields? Keef's '59? Slash's clone? All were constructed with the extended neck joint. I've found them to generally "ring" more acoutically and just have better sustain all around. And for what they are asking for the '58s and '57 Historics it really (IMHO of course) is worth the extra $500 or so. Pots, pickups and such can be replaced. Neck to body construction can not.

5. theHoss

theHoss Member

Agreed. I play an R8 and it has stood head and shoulders above the standards . If you are willing to get a plain top, I wouldn't think twice about the extra $500 for an R7 or R8 over a standard. Even when you are looking at historics, make sure you play them all. Historics don't mean they aren't dogs.....play them all and see what you like.

6. HHB

HHB Member

like most things, that last 10% of quality really costs ya. I play w/ a guy who has a standard and it can be shrill compared to my historic

7. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

IMHO, the Historic line, just "feels" better. I understand this is a subjective remark, but in addition to the sound and construction I just feel more connected to my historics. I sold my classic and standard (a great 02, 8.2lb flame top beauty) and purchased an R6 and R8.

A few weeks ago, I was Es335 shopping. I played production Es335s, Heritages, Elitists et al. and while I did not want to spend the extra $$ on the Historic in the end there was one Historic 63 that spoke to me. Needless to say, now I am in the doghouse with the wife.

Play as many Gibsons as you can and buy the one that speaks to you.

8. lpengineer

lpengineer Member

I guess I should have mentioned that both LP Standards I own were purchased from eBay, which obviously did not give me the chance to play it before spending the dough (regarding the comment of playing Gibby's to find the one that speaks to you) I have however, played some Standards at GC which did not "feel" that much different than mine. I would like to point out the obvious, that QC/QA at GC is non-existent (13yr olds jamming on a $2400 guitar...yikes!!). So that probably isnt the best choice for comparsion. I guess I assumed that my LP's were like every other and I have become accustomed to them.

GC has however recently acquired a Historic on trade (not sure, either R8/9), and being a $3k used guitar (in my town) it has remained on the wall. I have yet to play it, but based on some comments / suggestions here I think I should give it a whirl. I agree that by purchasing a Historic, I would hesitate bringing it to gigs. I firmly believe that was my reasoning for purchasing my LP's from eBay. Just out of curiousity what is the typical price for used plain top Historic (R8/9)?

9. cycler

cycler Supporting Member

next time you are on the Les Paul Forum, run a search on this topic, also, run a search on LP Standards with weight relief holes...you should be able to get a photo of one....I am sure you will find more than enough info to answer your question...FWIW, I have 2 Historics (R6 & R8), all either of them needed was a proper set up...sold my 02 Std to get the R8, and I have never regretted the decision...

10. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I know I was never a LP guy until I tried the R9...it is my main guitar now. To me its a big difference in feel. Weight and sustain also factor in.

11. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

One word. Tokai. Don`t waste yer $$$ on a Gibson.

CT.

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I completely believe the Historic to be a "better" guitar. I base that primarily on the feel of the instrument.

As far as the matter of the Standards having a short tenon or weight relief holes, if you didn't know it you'd never be able to tell the difference. Les Pauls were made with the short neck tenon for more than 20 years, yet no one attributed the downward spiral of the Les Paul to the neck joint construction...

13. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Gibson will sell you a big stinking pile of dog SH*t for anything under $2000. Its a 50-50 crap shoot for the privledge of the name Gibson on your headstock so you can look cool at Jams and playing out. The Historics give you better odds..........but not by much. Now if some guy named Tom Murphy *****d up the paint job then its gonna co$t you double.

14. jpage

The thread was about Gibson Les Pauls. If you can't afford one, don't like Gibson, or own one of the cheap overseas knockoff artist companies go away. You sure as heck aren't going to get me to invest in anything else. :moon

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

When you become the God of thread evolution let me know.........until then You owe me $0.98................:moon

16. jpage

Yea...this thread really "evolved" with that profanity laden intellectual rant of yours...

17. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

sumthing about "never giving advice"

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Whatever.........at least I kept it about Gibson. Now you owe me $0.96..........

19. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

I have limited experience with them but I will say the 3 or 4 historics I've played were noticably better guitars than the standards and studios I've played.

but what do I know, in the end I went the cheapskate route and bought a studio because it sounded good, looked purdy and weighs more than my car. I like goldtops, but they aren't for me, and I'm just not willing to pony up R9 money at this point in my talent or lack there of.

20. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Well, I've got an 02 Standard that is really a great axe, I'll never get rid of it, but....I gotta have a historic gold top P90 equipped blues killer. As has been stated good standards can be found, you just have to play a boatload to find a really special one.