Histroric tube prices?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by samwheat, Jan 24, 2006.

1. samwheat

samwheat Member

Anybody have a link showing tube prices in the 60's and 70's?

I'd like to know the inflation adjusted cost compared to the junk they sell these days.

2. rooster

rooster Member

Not a link, but I have some old GE 6L6GC's that came in boxes marked $10.80 each, and that was in about mid-70's. Adjust for inflation, and you're looking at about what, $35-40 each? As far as junk these days, JJ is becoming MUCH less junk-esque. They're going to end up being the leader, and they are actually revising and improving their product. Problem is, guitarists are getting cheaper and tighter by the year. They bitch about spending $1500 on a guitar amp, when the adjusted price on a real 1968 Marshall head was almost $3500 ($675 back when they were new).

Ever read those posts by guitarists asking for the best gigging amp for $500? If a real amp is too much money, get a second job until it's paid for, like they used to in the old days.

rooster.

3. Damon

Damon Member

Here, I just scanned this, it's from the 1960 Allied Radio catalog:
    [​IMG]

The main section of tubes (a few pages) are all RCA, with prices slightly lower than in this section.

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

Really? that seems high. I remember getting these from Disco Electronics in Springfield NJ for about $5-6.

I agree, as well as Winged C's are very good. Even Sovtek, the king of junk a few years ago, are putting out some nice products.

Nah, we were always cheep. Otherwise the Tele would never have caught on, people would still be playing fat Gibby's :cool:

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    SED and other 6L6GCs don't sound bad at all. The problem is the 1/5th longevitiy issue compared to NOS tubes.

6. rooster

rooster Member

No doubt, man. That's why you have so many happy NOS customers. However, I'll still count my blessings that I can get a good new pair of JJ's for $20-25 (except for KT88's). I'd prefer the longevity to increase, but I'm happy that they sound good at all!

rooster.