Hit Me With Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chuckracer, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Me: High gain Guy. Former SLO user for many years, currently running a '80 Marshall JMP100 with a Hotplate (for subtle attenuation).
    I run the preamp gain dimed and kick the front-end with a Boss SD1 running as a clean-ish boost.

I like the mid spike the Boss gives. I didn't care for the Tubescreamer in the same application.

Any other pedal suggestions? I wanted to try a couple just for vareities (is that a word??) sake.

2. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

You can try a treble booster.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

or you could go for the always underestimated value of an EQ pedal.

Slash uses a GE-7 as his lead boosts

redisburning likes this.
  4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Lovepedal Eternity!!!!!!

Even though I use a vox style amp, I like my distortion in the Marshall vein. I would describe this as the overdrive for Marshall guy's. Uncompressed and let's your guitars tone through...

5. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

dist 2(only)..and its awesome..never turn the fd2 gain more than 9 oclock...instant gratification..no eq make the sound this"live"

6. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Have you considered a Proco Rat? You already have so much gain going on in your amp that a Rat on milder setting should sound fantastic, a Rat is very much in the Marshall vein.

Another pedal I recently recieved is the McFuzz from Pedalworks. Don't let the title with Fuzz mislead you, at milder settings this pedal is much more like an overdrive. I'm very pleased with mine.

I'm hoping to try the BFE Dyna Red soon, it should be a good pedal for your application, and Bjorn's pedals always rule. I'm excited to get a chance to play through one but can't comment until I do.

Kelley

7. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Excellent...this is what I was hoping for...thanks fellers!!:dude

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Back in the day a lot of guys used MXR graphic eq's in front of their Marshalls, (EVH included)

I had the mains powered 10 band and it worked great, crank the mid bands and back of the top and bottom (like an inverted 'v')

These days I like the Sparkle Drive ot push my Marshall, the O/D side gives it a mid humpp and the clean boost pushes it over the edge.

fwiw, I never cared for a distortion pedal in front of mine, and especially not the Tube Screamer.
    Push the front end with enough clean boost and you'll get great grind and drive that won't sound scratchy when you put a mic in front of it.

9. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

a tonejam modded ge-7 EQ pedal would do the trick perfectly. it's a really great pedal.

10. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

Or you could take a time machine to 10 1/2 years in the future. There will be a ridiculous number of dirt choices then....just a hunch.

:rimshot

(Sorry. I love a good necropost)

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

10 years later and the answer is still a Rat. Some things never change.

dickjonesify likes this.
  12. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I'll say it.

Get a Paul C. "Timmy".

13. ilyslue2

ilyslue2 Member

This........get a modded GE-7.....the original IC chips is to noisy........Monte allums, Sniper, etc..........

Suhr Koko boost is great also.......turns a marshall into a very nice modded marshall............