1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

hitting middle pickup on strat! argghhh

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrSax, Apr 29, 2008.

1. DrSax

DrSax Member

:BITCH

No matter what I do, i can't get used to that darn middle pickup getting in the way!! I always try to go back to a strat because i love the neck pickup sound, but i usually end up in disgust because the darn middle pickup is right where I like to pick. I guess I could lower it down all the way, but sometimes i use positions 2 and 4 so won't it screw that up?

My tele and my Paul, sooo comfortable.

2. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

You and mr Richie Blackmore... always complaining about their middle strat pickups! hahaha just kidding.

:roll

3. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Can't play em either.....lots of great guitars out there but the middle pickup always kills it for me

4. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

There is no "real" answer

you can get a bright, loud middle pup and lower it a lot and possibly retain the tones you like. Honestly, I feel a lower placed, but bright MID pup gives you a LOT O QUACK and hollowness.

The middle pup thing doesn't bother me so much, but I will admit if you place it close enough to the strings it gets in my way.

5. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I hear ya, and I also tend to hit the switch when I play. Gets annoying. I think I remember some pickup that's actually placed below the pickguard though.

6. guitaraddict

guitaraddict Supporting Member

I can't stand it either. I always end up lowering mine way down. The volume knob location drives me crazy to!

7. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I can't either. I have bought and sold two strats for that very reason.

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Doc -

Like 1973 Marshall wrote, just try lowering the middle pickup and see if you can work around it. If you use psitions 2 and 4 more than the middle pickup alone, you might actualy prefer it w/ the middle pickup lower ....

Good Luck, Dana O.

9. bynt

bynt Member

Yeah, my repair buddy was telling me that Fralin told him that in his (L.F.'s) opinion, the best tone as far as a strat is concerned is with the pickups WAY low. You could maybe call Fralin and ask him. His customer service is legendary and word is that he's a super nice guy that loves to talk tone.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've never had a problem with the middle pup or the switch on a strat. I never really gave it much thought. I must pick/strum between the mid & bridge pups.

11. GDking

GDking Member

My only complaint is that I hit the selector switch TO the middle position when I am doing fast funky stuff on the neck or neck/middle :)

Put me in the never hit the actual pickup when jamming camp.

12. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

Be like Robbie Robertson.. move the middle down to the bridge position.. looks like a humbucker.. but is just the middle next to the bridge.. Opens up the middle!

13. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I started out my electric guitar playing life on a strat-oid, so the middle pickup never bothers me at all. Don't own any strats though; don't like how they sound (in my hands, that is! :D)

-Austin

14. GuitarMD

GuitarMD Member

I added a Fralin baseplate onto my strat middle pickup. It is slightly more usable with the added bass response. I still get the nice hollow quack from the 2 and 4 positions as well.

~GuitarMD~

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yngwie too. He lowers it all the way down and even disconnects it.

I sometimes keep mine up high and practice over it, as a practice tool, to learn to use just the tip and not let the pick dig too deep. If I hit it, which I do sometimes, I feel my technique is not good enough and have to sit and practice over it for awhile.

16. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I usually end up moving the volume out of the way more and lowering the middle enough to deal with it, but I have played Strat style guitars long enough now that I don't think I notice the mddle pup much anymore...

17. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

This guy had a problem too. I am really gonna make me a Robbiecaster one of these days.

[​IMG]