Hiwatt Combo speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by saucyjack, May 18, 2011.

1. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Recently had Pete Mather make me a 1x12 Combo Cab for my Reeves Custom 50.It's a partial open back Cab.
    Currently have a Weber Thames loaded(which is what I used in a previous closed/ported Freda 1x12 cab.
    I really liked the Thames in the closed cabs but not as in love with it for the open back Combo.Noticing a bit harsher highs and less solid low end.

I realize a lot of this may be the difference between open and closed back cabs but I really like the combo setup for my current gigging situation.Wondering if a speaker swap might be in order.

I have a WGS CL80 laying around I might try but was looking for some other options...I tried it before but it never blew me away in a closed back cab.

Looking for something with a pleasing high end,plenty of punch and headroom and tight/solid bass

2. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Who likes the Wgs cl80 clone in a open back combo?

3. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Any thoughts on a Fane Medusa 150c...reviews seem interesting.

Is a Fane different tonally than the Thames(which is supposed to be a Fane clone)?

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

The Thames (I used to own the alnico version) is not very Fane like at all. The sound of it reminded me a lot of that of a V30 or a Bulldog, and looking at the plot for the Thames there are some clear similarities.

A Fane is not particularly trebly, though it can have a clearly defined midhump (which unlike Celestions is smooth and not spiky) that makes it sound kind of bright yet laid back. Also it has more lows than the Thames and usually more aggressive in a composed way.

The Medusa 150C is the best speaker I have ever used. Gnarly and grindy yet sweet on top. Cone-wise it's supposed to be the speaker used in Hiwatts in either 75W or 150W form.

Should the 150C have too much mids and too little bottom in an open back after all, you could go with the 150 instead, but can be a bit loose in the lows. However this speaker just can't be made to sound bright at all even with tone and treble knobs dimed.

5. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Thanks
    Found a Fane Medusa 150c I'm going to try.

6. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Let's see if you like it. :D

7. Truxton Spangler

Truxton Spangler Member

You don't get tight solid bass in an open back cabinet.

Best regards -T