HIWATT(custom 100) DR103 owners ....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mainly, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

Well I run a Reeves 4x12 with 4 Fanes from the early 70's, and a Marshall 1982B with 100w celestions with the 74 Hiwatt 100.

I use a Reeves 2x12 with half of a Marshall 1960B for the Reeves 50.

Now, the Reeves Custom 50 DOES get a nice crunch going when you crank it up. Sounds like pure The Who goodness. But the DR103 remains clean far beyond the level that I would actually play it at.

So maybe the wattage of the amp also has something to do with the crunch? I mean I can get a crunch from the 100, but I cannot be in the same room.

-Z

2. DC1

DC1 Member

I can get great OD with singles too. Those who are saying that they don't break up are simply not willing to play at those levels. Also, you need to jumper the channels.

dc

3. marantz1300

marantz1300 Member

I use a 1x15 Fane or a 1x12 Boogie cab with my all Mullard 74 DR103. With a smaller cab and a quarter of the speakers, things aint as loud. So you can drive the amp harder for less volume. The amp will go into over drive. Its dynamic too,like your playing the amp as well as the guitar.

4. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Mid '70s SE4122 with Fanes. Tonight I'll try it with some EVMs just for kicks.

- DB

5. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Woooooo.....You might blow some windows out with those EV's

6. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Cool thread! Love Hiwatts!

7. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

GET THE FRICK OUT!!!! :BEER

Are you up in the city? When did you have it? How long ago did you sell it?? Did you sell it to Mark from the Cowboy Perverts? Is that the same Bicrown head that I bought too??
    Did "The One" appear while in your stewardship?? Would LOVE to hear the story on that!

TOO AWESOME!!!
    I LOVE this cab!

8. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Well, not tonight. I need a longer speaker cable unless I want to move around half stacks ... and I don't. :mad: I did crank with the Fanes, and I wish I could post a clip. We're talking about a '76 (4-input) DR-103, and with everything between 3/4 and full up no one could mistake the sound for "clean." Clearly not as saturated as the Marshall Super Bass next to it, but definitely super crunchy. No hi output PUPs either.

- DB

9. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, it's weird how some of the limited bandwidth OD pedals just cause the sound of a clean amp to collapse when you turn 'em on.
    FWIW, my fave pedal with my DR103 is an old Vox Tone Bender.
    That pedal sounds like crap through my BF Bandmaster.
    Once again, balance is restored to the universe!
    :YinYang
    peace

10. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I have a 50 watt, but it's the Canadian version (DR505) and those have a mythical extra gain stage. It definitely gets a good crunch with P90s or a tele, though it's a bit harder to do with a strat. In a perfect world I wouldn't play any other amp but I never use it anymore - it is pretty loud and won't fit in my car.

PS a Rat sounds pisser through it.

11. KBN

KBN Member

I'm not familiar with the term "pisser". Is that good or bad?

12. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Wicked good.

13. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

I'm in S.F.
    The cab had 'The One' on it when I bought it from Blackmarket Music when they were on Howard Street.
    I tried out 6 Hiwatt cabs that day, ours was the best of the bunch. I also bought the head in that pic (It's a 2 input), a 100 watt early 4 input head, and a very early Schecter PT Tele......yes it was a good day.
    I passed along the Hiwatt in a trade deal somewhere along the way, I forget for what now.

Here's another pic (with the PT):

[​IMG]

14. skoora

skoora Member

I was in a local GC that had an Audio Bros, Fernandes Hiwatt reissue and they also had a pedalboard in front that had a Fulldrive 2 on it. Now that pedal kicked ass through that amp. Granted they had a Hotplate hooked up as well so I could get the amp dirty on it's own and push it with the Fulldrive, but it was a beautiful crunchy rock tone.

15. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

IMO they break up very nicely - and take pedals great. Awesome amps!

16. DC1

DC1 Member

17. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

That 12 string Rick is awesome!!!!

18. kraen

kraen Member

I have a Port City 1x12" OS with my Hiwatt DR103. It sounds so nice. I'm currently looking for a good attenuator, so I can crank my Hiwatt.

As for drive pedals I think the Boss OD-3 Monte Allums GT Plus Mod sounds very nice and also the EMMA ReezaFRATzitz.

I'm not that much into The Who and Pink Floyd but I love the fact that all the dirt is coming from my pedals and I can get a nice huge clean sound. Add a bit of Chorus and delay in a W/D/W setup and you are in heaven.

Besides that I really look forward to get my hands on a G-Major 2 and pull out the Univibe sound in my W/D/W.

To anyone new on the Hiwatt area - DON'T BUY THE NEW HIWATTS! Their sound is like pulling a cat in the tail. Try to look at Reeves Amplification instead.

19. polifemo

polifemo Member

That´s interesting!
    I´ve got a friend that just bougt a (new production) 100w Head + a 4x12 cab as well as a 50W 2x12 Combo, and he´s really pleased with them.

I haven´t heard them myself though.

20. KBN

KBN Member

I have played some of the new ones and they were fine sounding amps. I went with the Reeves because of the incredible price difference, a good warranty, and the fact that the owner of the company answers the phone.