HIWATT(custom 100) DR103 owners ....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mainly, Feb 11, 2009.

1. KBN

KBN Member

Sorry for the tangent, but it looks like we have a pretty similar setup. I play a Reeza and love it. I also have an OD-3 in the mail right now. What do you like about the GT Plus Mod over the stock version with Hiwatt amps?

2. JTM100

JTM100 Member

"wont break up"....bollocks!! "wont break"...absolutley! I own several early 70's DR103's and DR201's along with several early 70's FANE loaded cabs. I play my amps full up on the "master" w/ the channels jumped. The "normal" vol is about 2 o'clock and the "brilliant" is pretty much full up. The FANES are a VERY important part of the HIWATT sound. They dont sound right thru any other speaker really. With a Strat or Tele, you will need a boost to get a singing lead tone and some crunch, although, they will break up some w/o it. I can get some great distorted Strat tones by taking various overdrives thru a cranked HIWATT w/o any problem. With humbuckers, I have no problem getting crunch and singing lead tones straight into the HIWATT. HIWATT's arent really clean so much as they are clear and defined. They dont have quite the gain that a cranked Marshall Superlead has however they are much more defined, articulate , and in your face. The problem is, that by the time you get into "crunch" territory, you may as well be standing in front of a Jet engine volume wise.

3. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Are the current-production Fane speakers very different from old ones? I mean, I read a review (from a mag, I think it was GP) were they said ther cleans were "uninspiring" and their distorted tones were supposedly awesome. If the classic Hiwatt/Fane set-up was known for its cleans, then maybe this newer Fane is very different from originals?

Any current-production Scumback, Eminence or Celestion speaker that is like old Fanes? What do you think a Hiwatt would sound like through an EVM-12L?

4. DC1

DC1 Member

It was, and is, ********.

:messedup

:messedup

I am in southern california, come on over and I can easily prove it.

dc

5. kraen

kraen Member

Those few I've heard didn't had very good dynamics and sounded very boring. And what I hear from others about those amps :jo - well your friend is the first is the first I hear about that likes the amps.

I agree that the Reeza is a killer in front of the Hiwatt! To be true I've never heard a stock OD-3. I bought mine used cheaper than a new stock model. I've tried the GT Mod (not Plus) in front of my amp as well and that was the reason I started looking for at modded OD-3. I also have a T-Rex Møller in front of the amp. Nice bluesy crunchy tone.

6. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Weber makes a copy of the Fanes.

7. jay42

jay42 Member

Eminence makes:
    Texas Heat
    Tonker & Tonkerlite
    Lynch Super V12
    Reeves Vintage Purple (not sure of availability)

Fane makes Fane:
    sold by Tonic Amps

8. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

So, is it general consensus the current-production ones aren't nearly as good?

9. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

no he doesn't make a copy of a HIWATT Fane.

he does make a copy of a Fane Crescendo.

10. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

Not even close!

11. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

Wow, I'm sorry if it has been discussed, but in what ways? Not arguing, I just REALLY want to know.

12. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

The originals used Partridge transformers. Which are now pretty hard to find. They are huge, heavy buggers that store a LOT of power. What this does in practical terms, is that it compressed the guitar sound a good bit more than the newer ones.

I have a Reeves and a 74 Hiwatt that sound almost the same. So the reproduction transformers reeves uses are pretty close to the vintage originals.

The new Hiwatt amps have a nice, crunchy modern sound. Coldplay, etc. The older ones have a ton of clean headroom and you gotta really crank that master volume up to get the same sound as a newer Hiwatt.

It is a toss up which sound you like more. I personally love pedals, so I like that extra clean room.

-Z

13. polifemo

polifemo Member

14. marantz1300

marantz1300 Member

Try one and see if you like it. Maybe try it with different cabs and pedals. I'd judge any amp for my own tastes.

15. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

isn't that clip the reissue head?

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves is the way to go if you can't find or afford a vintage Hiwatt or
    risk touring with a vintage amp.

The Reeves are 100% hand wired and offer both traditional and modified Hiwatt
    circuits as well as power scaling and reverb on the Custom 30.

I just placed an order for a Reeves Custom 225

I've done my homework and this is possibly the best bass amp
    offered in decades.

For guitar, I'd go for a vintage DR-504, Stage
    Studio or Reeves Custom 50 or CP 504

Reeves is offering a new Jimmy Page Custom 50 and 100
    as well as their Custom Lead 60.