Hiwatt lead 50 channel switching question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by StevenJM, May 6, 2016.

1. StevenJM

StevenJM Member

Hey guys...

My guitar player uses a Hiwatt Lead 50 head. There's no button or switch on the amp to change channels, you have to use a foot switch. The issue is that when you turn it on, the gain channel is the default channel and it sounds terrible. The clean channel is where these amps shine.

Is there a simple swap of some wires to make the clean the default so we don't have to use the footswitch. We don't do any channel switching.

The one idea I had was to just solder a jumper wire on the footswitch's jack to complete the circuit and trick it into running clean all the time. Would this work?

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

It looks like you could take a TRS 1/4" plug and stick it in the footswitch jack. I have a hard time telling from the schematic which way it's wired: relay energized = lead channel, or relay energized = clean channel. If an unwired TRS plug placed in the FS jack still has the amp coming up in the lead channel, then solder a wire connection from the tip lug of the TRS plug to its shield lug. That should do it for you.

StevenJM likes this.
  3. StevenJM

StevenJM Member

Thanks Jeff. I'll give this a shot. I might have to order a TRS plug to give this a shot.

4. Mike KOTUR

Mike KOTUR Member

I just bought Lead 50 with no foot switch and I was pissed of but I bought BOSS FS-5L and it works like original super. I am very happy. Try it.