Hiwatt & Reeves Cabinets

voojo

Can you folks with experience with these cabs tell me how they sound with the slot/duct port on the back near the bottom? I am thinking about having a custom 2x12 made and I was thinking about incorporating a slot into the back of it, ala Hiwatt & Reeves (also Swanson.)

Thoughts on it vs. a normal closed back cabinet? Thanks!

Seth

l_5207505593abb8b813253c2830860f12.jpg

i've got a hiwatt w/ fane AlNiCos and the slot.
i can't really say how it would compare directly to a closed back cab. i do know that it sounds very good and compares very well w/ a marshall 4-12 w/ greenbacks and a germino 4-12 w/ heritage G12Ms. they are all different sounding, tho', due to different drivers, etc..

the THD 2-12 cab is slot loaded (bigger slot, tho') and sounds very big and has a nice 'spread'.

KBN

Silver Supporting Member
Cool. I have never noticed this about these cabs. I am also curious to know how a slot like that affects the tone of a cab.

alaskagrown

µ¿ z3®ø™;3714129 said:
sounds very big and has a nice 'spread'.

That's exactly how I would characterize it. It has the most low end of any cab I've played, without getting mushy or anything, and highs and mids shine too. I have a '76 Hiwatt loaded with old EVs... 12Ms I think? I also have a '76 Marshall with Cannabis Rexes, and a CAA with Vintage 30s (all 4x12s.) I like the Hiwatt the best by far, but again a lot of it has to do with the speakers. I really need to try an X pattern of the EVs and Cannabis Rexes...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom