Hiwatt/Reeves people....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teh RedWizard, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Member

So...since I couldn't sell my Reeves Custom 50 1x12 combo,I've decided to have it converted into a 2x12. Thing is,I'd like to try a different speaker to pair with the Vintage Purple...besides another VP! Because I wouldn't mind introducing a bit of a Marshall element to this amp's tone,I've been tossing around the idea of a Weber 50 watt Silver Bell. Any thoughts on this combination? Any opinions on what you think might be a better fit,and why?

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Weber offers the Thames in both Ceramic and AlNiCo, so that might be one way to go or you might consider the new Weber built Scumback Scumnicos which are rated 15, 30 or 65 watts.

3. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

From what I've heard, the Thames is very similar to the Vintage Purple, so I don't think there would be much difference in the tone.

I owned a Hiwatt for several years, and I may be mistaken here, but I don't think you'll ever get Marshall kinda tones out of it. It's an entirely different beast. I know the Reeves are a little different, so maybe they can get close, but I doubt it.

4. stekks

stekks Member

I like my Hiwatt with some good Celestion H30s. While a Hiwatt (inspired) amp will never get Marshall tones, it might get what you had in mind.

5. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Member

OK,so I'll shift my focus a little here...this combo is going to double as a speaker cab for awhile for a 4 EL 84 powered head( AC 30,if you will). How do y'all think the Fane,and Silver bell would do in that role?

6. sam30328

sam30328 Member

Greenbacks are your best bet for the Marshall sound--should mix well with the Purple.I've got both with my Custom 30--the Purple is more Hiwatt,the Greenback more Marshall.

7. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

I agree with everyone's comments, I am going to load a cab with ceramic thames then have another custom cab with real vintage H30's, I too use both a reeves 50 and a matchless style EL84 head, it didnt seem like putting a vintage celstion in the same cab as a fane style speaker would sound very good for either head so im using 2cabs.