Hiwatt speaker recommendation that isn't Fane

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Salmonlust, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Salmonlust

Salmonlust Member

Just sold my small combo amp that I used at home and ordered a Hiwatt T20 head and need a 1x12 cab for it to use at home. Instead of buying one with a greenback or a v30 (which I've read aren't ideal with hiwatt'ish amps) I thought I'd just buy an empty one and my choice of speaker.

I realise that according to most the only speaker for Hiwatts is Fane but I really wanna hear some other opinions.

I've been looking at the g12h-75 and g12m-65 creambacks and the Eminence Tonker. But I've gotten somewhat interested by the Emincence Maverick and Reignmaker speakers due to their FDM attenuation technology.

Anyways, I was just looking for some opinions and suggestions since 90% of my googling results are Fane.

2. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Why the aversion to Fane?

Of the speakers you mentioned, I'd avoid the g1275t. It's a fine speaker, but it's eq curve is dipped in the mids - that's not a great choice for a hiwatt. It can be a great choice for a mid-heavy Marshall doing certain types of music and personal preference will often vary, but hiwatts don't have those exaggerated mids.

3. Salmonlust

Salmonlust Member

Two reasons. First, I live in an area where shipping can be quite pricey depending on the distributer and I can't seem to find a way to buy a Fane (a new one that is) without having to pay a sizeable sum in shipping and related costs. Whereas common speakers like celestions and eminence are easier to aquire. Second, I would just like to see what others recommend. I know that a fane is going to be great with a hiwatt but if people also happen to love using a certain speaker with their hiwatt, it might steer me in that direction.

Also, thanks for the tip.

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  4. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Fane is currently doing their own take of the G12H 75 watt speaker so I can't imagine a Creamback G12H75 would be a bad speaker for a hiwatt. That is not the same thing as a G12T75. A G12T75 has a smaller magnet than the Creamback and a larger dust cap and is more mid scooped. The Creamback has a smaller dust cap and more midrange than the T75. Personally I love my Creambacks but I've only used them with Marshall style amps and my old Mark V I used to have (they sounded fantastic with that amp btw).

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  5. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

I hear you. Fanes are hard to come by where I am too...although it's been better lately I think -- Avatar and Reverb seem to both have Fanes available somewhat regularly. I wish I had more/better advice about what speakers to use -- maybe try these?

https://www.tedweber.com/fc12f

Cheers

Salmonlust likes this.
  6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

7. Salmonlust

Salmonlust Member

Iceland

8. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Member

WGS et65 or et90.

65 for a slightly softer edge with more give when pushed, and a bit more emphasis in the mids by comparison.

90 for a stiffer feel with more punch when pushed, and a bit more lows and highs by comparison for a slightly fuller tone.

Both are quite reasonable new, but shipping would still likely be expensive.

WhoJamFan likes this.
  9. Salmonlust

Salmonlust Member

WGS over the creamback? it would actually be a little bit more expensive to get the WGS.

10. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Member

In my opinion, yes. WGS over most of the many (many, many) speakers I have paired with my dr504.

I can't speak to the expense, the ETs are very affordable new from the manufacturer, but as I said shipping would likely be the deal-breaker if there were one.

Between the two creambacks, I very much preferred the H to the M with my amp. If those are the options you have boiled down to, I recommend the Creamback H.

Salmonlust likes this.
  11. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

I am wondering about the EVM or JBL speakers with a Hiwatt?

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  12. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Came here to post this too
    Flat EQ is key, and high power rating

13. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

The Eminence GB128 could be another option. It's quite aggressive yet laid-back and very Fane-like in this sense.

14. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Pete Townsend experiemented with JBLs and the result is quite clangy if this turns you on. ;) Too much extension in the highs for an amp quite bright in its natural form, to my ears.

EV speakers are quite headroomy in this sense and could be a bit of overkill for such a small amp as the T20. However I'm aware of pairings with Hiwatts and even with bright Vox amps. Fane even made an EVM inspired speaker a few years back, but since then put out of production.

15. louis

louis Member

Not a lot of clips out there with Hiwatt and Celestions but I've made a crappy one with a Iphone a few years back , head was a 1978 100 watts going into a 4x12 loaded with 70's G12M's with Mueller cones and it sounded pretty good , the iphone doesn't really capture the thick chewy sound coming out from the cab but it's all I got ! :(
    If you know someone near with a Vintage Modern 4x12 cab , it would be great to give it a try !,....might work!

Salmonlust likes this.
  16. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

What about the speakers from Reeves amps?

17. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

The Emi Wheelhouse looks interesting (in a general sense) to me. It is a neo, so lighter weight.

18. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

I've tried
    Eminence The Wizard
    EVM 12L
    Weber FC12
    I would use either the emi or the ev. I have a Weber for sale in the emporium.

Disclaimer: This was for Gilmour, not Townsend tones.

19. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

I use Eminence Tonkers with my Hiwatt Townshend head. They handle the power well and sound big.

20. sliberty

sliberty Member

In the 70's and 80's I played my HiWatt Custom 100 through a 70's Marshall 4x12 which was presumably loaded with G12M25's and it was glorious.