Hiwatt Studio Stage??????

mr_sooty

I tried one of these recently in a store. My thoughts: The cranked overdive sound was perfect. If you're mainly looking for an amp to run overdriven, this one is great. Really nice, crunchy breakup. The cleans at lower shop volumes were a bit 'so so'. Not bad, just a bit ordinary and unexciting, especially for an amp of that price. But it could well sound better at higher volumes.

The power switch is great, as is the ability to change voltage with a dial on the back if you're touring internationally. Lot's of nice, useable features on this amp. The Reverb is very subtle, you really need to run it quite high to even notice it.

The main things that put me off it was that it's extremely heavy for it's size, and the cleans were just not that amazing, at least, not at the lowish volumes I was playing. Maybe just needed some more time to warm up. Plus, it's extremely expensive. But really sounded great cranked into overdrive land. If you're looking for a nice crunchy sound and don't mind a really ludicrously heavy amp, it could be a goer.

keith_t4e

John II Dude is that Ritchie Rhianno????? WOW I love Starz man just love em. I got to see them once on Colliseum Rock. Actually Attention Shoppers, Starz, Colliseum Rock and Violation are probably the order in which I love them. Those clips make me want a Hiwatt badly. Boy will that amp take pedals well. They are $$$$$ though.

newtech27

Gold Supporting Member
yeah, its the overdriven sound that has me wanting to play one BAD. I really like the clean sound he gets by just rolling the volume knob down....still got some dirt to it:cool:
I'm on the hunt now to see if any shops here in so cal might have one, they seem to be a bit scarce.

PS Mr Sooty, did you play a head version or combo version? Also, what kind of guitar did you play through it? I'm wondering how it would sound with single coils.

FFTT

I would also look at the Reinhardt and Reeves 30 watters vs. a Fernandes built
new Hiwatt.

John II

John II Dude is that Ritchie Rhianno????? WOW I love Starz man just love em. I got to see them once on Colliseum Rock. Actually Attention Shoppers, Starz, Colliseum Rock and Violation are probably the order in which I love them. Those clips make me want a Hiwatt badly. Boy will that amp take pedals well. They are $$$$$ though.
Yes sir. It is Richie Ranno. Huge Starz fan here.

~J

newtech27

Gold Supporting Member
Are u able to get the same amount of gain and crunch as he does in the clips at bedroom level?

Trending Topics