Now take a deep breath and hear,

...it's only just begun:

Born under a bad sign:

More of the really pro wiring job is shown here:

In all fairness, I guess you can see how the guy has over tens of thousands
of completions. Why the guy might even be listed over at some speaker
guys web site of techs.

But don't take my word for it...

I was stunned when I saw that. In fact I still am.

callaway_1

That is horrible! He has destroyed a beautiful early 1970's piece of art! I love HIWATTs! They are my absolute favorites and seeing this makes me sick! The sticker with the TS on it is from the factory. I have seen several virgin amps with those. Does it coincidently happen to be the initials of the jerk that trashed the amp?

Clayton

TheAmpNerd

callaway_1 said:
That is horrible! He has destroyed a beautiful early 1970's piece of art! I love HIWATTs! They are my absolute favorites and seeing this makes me sick! The sticker with the TS on it is from the factory. I have seen several virgin amps with those. Does it coincidently happen to be the initials of the jerk that trashed the amp?

Clayton

The person I got the amp from said that he did the work on this amp.
Coincidently the initials are the same.

I have an local aquaintance that will loan me his DR504 once I get started on this,
to use as a reference to restore this amp.

I'm going to be using these MM transformers because they were built
using the original blue prints of the Partridge trannies.

The only draw back is they don't have the same appeal as the Partridge trannies.

callaway_1

Here is a cool link to Pete Cornish' site. He has been taking care of David Gilmour's HIWATTs for 30 years. One or two of those have the same sticker. I think one of mine does as well.

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/dghiwatthistory.html

I doubt Gilmour would let that butcher touch his amps!

It is beyond restoration in my opinion. you would need a new chassis, trannies, and hours and hours of labor. I would only give $100 for some of the parts.......That may be too generous!

That is just so sad!

Clayton

TheAmpNerd

callaway_1 said:
Here is a cool link to Pete Cornish' site. He has been taking care of David Gilmour's HIWATTs for 30 years. One or two of those have the same sticker. I think one of mine does as well.

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/dghiwatthistory.html

I doubt Gilmour would let that butcher touch his amps!

It is beyond restoration in my opinion. you would need a new chassis, trannies, and hours and hours of labor. I would only give $100 for some of the parts.......That may be too generous!

That is just so sad!

Clayton
Yeah, pretty sad indeed.

I can use the same chassis, I'll need a doubler over the PT section.
Yep spending hours doing the wiring. It won't
be original, but will be routed the same.

Once it is up and running it should
sound like it's namesake, Hiwatt.

Thank you for the link,
I'll definitely check it out.

Swarty

Man, after seeing that I should change my initials! I have a Partridge 50w OT if you are interersted send an email.

SteveStrat

Brutal.......Just brutal....It's amazing you didn't find a finger nail or blood stains on the thing too! Kills me to see amps like that.

Steve

TheAmpNerd

Yeah,

John also pointed out besides the obvious, that there
is a huge safety issue with taping up of the
HT (High Tension [voltage])wires.

Death, fire, etc could result from using the amp should
something happen.

While that was in the back of my head, it is very important
to be aware of the Safety issues/danger in a hack job like this.

A very Big Safety issue.

I'm still floating around on pain killers for the time being so
I'm glad to have the safety issued identified too.

Thanks John.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
Positive restoraition vibes headed your way.

Any chance of getting some progress pics as you bring this lovely creature back to life?

Best of luck. You're doing a good thing. Saving an old Hiwatt is a noble act.

hasserl

Hehehe, I've got an Ampeg B-25B in here with the same treatment on the PT. The OT has also been changed out, and the wiring all looks just about as bad. I'm still sorting thru it.

I wonder if the same guy did this mess too.

Scottone

looking at things from the "glass being half full" perspective, the cosmetics of the amp are still intact. So there is a couple of holes hacked into the chassis...these won't even be visable from the outside.

I think it will be a killer amp when you get the new transformers on there and fix up the wiring. If would be fantastic if you could get some original Partridges, but the MM's would be great too I'm sure.

Good luck to you man..

J Purcell

What a shame. Those are just wonderful sounding amps. Hopefully you can get it restored to it's former glory.

Trogdor

Wow that's a horrible site. Oh well, I do build amps and do mods( i would never do work like that though), but it would be fun to redo the amp back to original specs. I hope it works out great! Good luck.

Trending Topics