Hiwatt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telecopter, Feb 4, 2008.

1. telecopter

telecopter Member

Renember just a few years ago, you could get them for a song? $500-600 for a 50 watt head wasn't all that uncommon. Dang, I shoulda snagged a bunch of them up then!:(

2. dunara

dunara Member

Had a DR504 in the mid 80s. Sold it for £100 (towards a Boogie which I ended up hating :messedup)

We live and learn....

3. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

I have a DR 505 Hylight 1977 HW . It is really a sick amp. If you had one built with the same parts from certain California types it would be $6500.00. I mean they still make Partridge trannies but who uses them? http://www.transformers.co.uk/index.asp?pgid=27
    Aluminum chassis , Hospital grade wiring .I actually stuck a set of Sylvania 6l6 STRs in mine. Sounds killer and the plates look OK, the Sovtek EL34s that came with it were glowing red( well one was).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I would love to keep this thread up as an everything HIWATT place. What a great but still somehow undervalued amp. Everyone refers to Hiwatt build quality Hiwatt cleans Hiwatt transients etc. It is the Uber Marshall.
    [​IMG]

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Yeap, and I remember when 1959 Les Paul were under $100k, gas was under $1, and cable TV didn't exist.

They are only going to get more expensive as time goes on. The more people that hear how great they are will want them more, which creates more competition to get them, and the price goes up. (The value of the dollar changing doesn't help either).

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Hey Dorian, I have the exact same model HIWATT! I love mine. I remember when you used to be able to get em for a few hundred. I got mine on a steal. I turned down another one for 1000 a year or two ago. Really wish i hadn't done that now...

6. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

I can tell you like 'em by your user name!! Great amps. I had to pay $1400.00 for mine ( only picked it up a year ago)but I still think it was a bargain( $3500.00 for Fender DR s :NUTS)