Hmebrew Electronics THC or Retrosonic Chorus?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by macmax77, Oct 1, 2008.

1. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Anyone has any input?

I am looking for a chorus that doesn't get Metallic(ala Choralflange in that aspect) but something easier to set, i don't need a lot of versatility, just an awesome subtle chorus.

2. macmax77

3. macmax77

anyone tried them?

4. wickidriffs

wickidriffs Member

I have not, unfortunately.

5. macmax77

hahahhahaahhahaha, Thanks :D

6. wickidriffs

wickidriffs Member

I wish I had.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't recommend the THC. I have one, and bought it to see what else was out there (I personally love my old H2O chorus/echo and the single pedal Liquid Chorus) that had a "width" knob as well as the speed and depth/delay knob. With the width, in my experience with the H2O I can dial in as subtle or wobbly and obvious as I want. Also different subtle shades, but at the same time easy to set.

So that was my experience with the H2O, and I expected similar with the THC, but it was not the case. The "width" on the THC must control something else, because as it adjusts up from fully CCW for example, it first gets more and more chorusy/wobbly, but then hits a spot around 10:00 to 12 or 1:00 where it lessens again, and then more again...

It was weird, I couldn't really figure the pedal out. I never got subtle sounds out of it, or what I wanted.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

By the way...never tried one but I hear great things about the Analogman chorus.

9. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I have THC, and one of my favorite chorus tones was Ry Cooder from the seventies...a very slow subtle chorus, as featured on the Showtime album. I was not able to get an acceptable version of that from the THC, so I switched to a faster leslie like setting, and I have found the THC does that well.

John

10. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I love the THC. I was very surprised when I played it at just how much I liked it. I guess it all depends on the way that you would want to use the effect as to which one of those would be better. I've not tried the retrosonic personally, but none of the clips or demos of it that I've heard really jump out at me.