Hmm... I feel like an idiot! (Klemt Echolette content)...

I don't know what came over me. I had received a G&L SC-3 strat last week, the WOBO ProgLooper at the office today, the AMDek DM-100 Analog Delay unit is coming at some point... something in my head must have broken!

As of today, I also am waiting on the arrival of a 1960 Klemt Echolette tape delay unit and some replacement tape. $450 + shipping... We'll see what kind of madness results from Deluxe Memory Man->AMDek Delay->Echolette in a looper or something...

I'm still not sure how I want to use the ProgLooper, other than thinking that a Nobels A-B Master remote switch would be great to put after it (A could be dry and B could go out to my RC-20 Loop Station, that would work really well)...

So, I guess I'm going to find out what all this tape echo is about. I read some really positive things about this unit, though there isn't a WHOLE lot of information on the net about these...

From http://www.penumbra.co.nz/allthegear.html :

"The KelmtTM Echolette 5 .....
The Echolette 5 employed a 20" tape loop under relatively low tension and was thus very easy on tapes. A two-speed motor, three record heads (each with separate volume control) and two (selectable) playback heads provided a wide variety of echoes."

unvs

I had one of those 10 years ago!

The motor was faulty though, so the echo was wobbly and strange - BUT it saw quite a lot of studio time anyway. We used to run guitar -> klemt w/ gain maxed out -> 1972 Marshall Tremolo 50w for some crazy over the top distorted/fuzzed out tones. Very cool!

I sold it off and bought a black-faced Dynacord instead, which seemed very similar to the Klemt, plus the echo was usable.

The input-"meter" up in the left corner is very cool!

unvs

Yes, they looked almost identical IIRC. Only difference was that the Klemt wasn't looked after much, rusty insides and scratchy pots etc.

Yours looks to be well kept though!

theanalogfuture,

I just tried Dogpile search instead of just google and found a webpage that made mention of "the mojo tube"

"Here's a nice one... This is a vintage Klemt Echolette tube powered tape echo from the '60s. Proof positive that German engineering isn't strictly limited to automobile design, the Klemt is a wonder to behold. This golden fraulein has FIVE heads and FIVE preamp tubes, YOW! A tube Echoplex has nothing on the Klemt in terms of using it as a stand alone preamp - this thing is HOT. Of course, you can dial in the output so it doesn't give your signal much of a boost, but what fun is that?
There's also a sixth tube, which I'll call the Mojo Tube. It's a dedicated tube strictly for doing that magical glow thang, which you can see in the second picture. Now here's the best part - this Klemt Echolette was overhauled a few months ago by Kurt Pena of Fuzzorama, who apparently is no longer in business. It's too bad because he did a spectacular job on this Klemt and it seems like this may be the last one I'll be getting."

Is some of that an excerpt from AnalogMan's FX book? I don't have a copy (I probably should)...

Here's the link, there are a couple of pictures in whih you can see the Echolette both off and powered on, complete with "mojo tube" a-glowing... In this instance, I suppose the "mojo tube" is pretty much just a light bulb... :)

Is some of that an excerpt from AnalogMan's FX book? I don't have a copy (I probably should)...
Naw, it's from the FMO Gear Shop (AnalogMan's vintage shop)

Here's the link..

P.S. NashvilleSteve, seeing how we live in the same city, we should hook up sometime (not in THAT way) and have a FX party! My collection is modest but growing....

No way! I've bought way too much stuff this month!

That amp does look great, though. It would be pretty amazing. I already have two amps and that's all I can possibly use at once (is it? dah!)... If it were an amp with higher headroom I would half-consider it with the 3 channels and all being kind of cool for stereo effects as amp #2. I'm OK with the Champ II being #2 and the Ghia would probably drown out this thing with a similar EL84 sound (it'd be through the Leslie with the 85 watt WeberVST JBL clone C12CA speaker- maybe it would be loud enough- damn!)...

Enjoyer

Sorry to tempt you with that. I think it looks like a great little amp, though. I am tempted by it.

Ya gotta admit that it would be a cool combo with your Echolette, though.

Enjoyer

Caught my breath for a moment. I've got to ask . . . Why do you feel like an idiot for acquiring an absolutely legendary piece of kit? Good on you and I am a bit envious.

That's a big purchase for me and it completely happened because it was there and awesome and I'm terrible at holding onto funds when things like that happen (it's been a crazy month)... Nonetheless I'm still really excited. I can't wait to try it out!

Enjoyer

I understand completely!

Guilty of the same syndrome.

You did well, I think.

FWIW, The guy selling the Kelmpt amp also has replacement tapes for the echo unit you bought. Worth mentioning, I think.

Now get the amp and the replacement tapes.

Great score!!!!! I am guessing that you will be most pleased with this spontaneous indulgence. My experience has proven that those spontaneous indulgences are some of the best . . . . EnJOY!

Enjoyer

You're on it!

I have no experience with the unit, but my guess is that you will be a happy man!

Can I trouble you for a full report upon receipt and experimentation????
It would be much appreciated.

All the very best, Steve.

Ok, so, it's really quite beyond me as to how I thought buying this before I head out to work would help anything:

But it should be cool!

I could put it on a table so I can switch the speeds, but that would require long cable runs (and it'll have to be true bypassed anyway)... I'll probably just leave it on "slow" most of the time, anyway (keeping the Deluxe Moon Phaser still)...

The DMK-100 just arrived. It looks just like the picture, except mine is missing one knob and one knob "face" (the lighter plastic bit on the face of the knob)... Will try it out when I get home!

The Echolette is in restoration at the moment. We have got the tape loop working, but it needs some fine tuning, cleaning, rubber cleaner (maybe even a couple of the rubber parts replaced if possible- some have grown quite hard!)... However, my tech told me that when he's done with it, it will sound as good as or better than the day it was made- exciting, no? :) The seller included a DIN cable that fits in the footswitch jack and will soon have a 1/4" jack on the other end- the tech even said he could probably whup up a footswitch to switch between long/short echoes... cool!

The Maestro Phase Shifter sounds great, BTW. I have a friend who has one- he said it's really noisy. I bought it from Skreddy, so I don't know if he cleaned it out or what, but it sounds great and is completely quiet! The ramp is cool. I'm not sure that the "Medium Phase" button does anything that I can tell, but the fast and slow speeds work great- with a ramp up/down in between. Since this was one of the very first phasers available, the sound is exactly like a bunch of old records. Very fun. The slow speed has a variable speed control as well. I'm not sure if it will be on the floor or up where I can change the speeds with my hands, but it's going in a loop for sure! The bypass doesn't actually sound that bad, but it's pretty ancient engineering... :) The other big reason to put it in a loop isn't just because of it's bypass, but because there's no footswitch to turn it off. I can deal with the original footswitch getting lost sometime in the 1970s as far as changing speeds, but on/off is semi-crucial. If my tech wants to build a footswitch for that, that's cool, but I'm not sure how hard that would be since the footswitch plugs in with a weird 6-connector plastic jack.... I'm sure it's a standard part, though.

Who knows what's next. I'm having some occupational reorganization again, but have also started helping my tech out, that would be a nifty side job... :)

OK, so the DMK-100 is a winner. Doesn't really self-oscillate, but has a unique delay sound that is very spacious- the feedback keeps going and you get a wall of sound that doesn't oscillate, but sounds very spacious. Great $90 investment! For space sounds, it's got some different ones on tap than the Deluxe Memory Man, too...

Trending Topics