Hmmm, never really noticed this. Amp sounds muffled close, awesome farther away

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Prodigy, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

Just got my Wampler Hot Wired back after a re-trade and hooked it up to play and to try and dial in some cool tones...I was getting frustrated because the sounds I was getting were muffled sounding close up to the amp (Peavey Classic 30 combo)...I started to walk away from the amp and the sound just started getting better and more clear, and at about 10 feet away or more it was just perfect, and I couldn't believe the difference as I walked back towards the amp...It's angled up off of the ground with a metal frame thingy I got from a guitar shop. Not sure if that makes a difference, but can anyone explain why this is happening, or am I nuts? Maybe near the amp the band of sound is narrow and hasn't had a chance to spread out before hitting my ears, I dunno....Weird....but very cool!

2. cmc2878

cmc2878 Member

That's actually a little odd.

Bass sine waves take longer to reach their peak amplitude. So, bass frequencies are actually louder farther from the speaker.

Although...this could be the effects of the Fletcher-Munson curve

3. Prodigy

Prodigy Senior Member

What's the F-M curve? I haven't heard of it.

4. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I find that moving close to the amp or even a couple feet off-axis at a greater distance causes a perceived attenuation of high frequencies.

5. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Fletcher Munson curves are a collection of empirical measurements showing how the frequency response of your ear changes with volume. Something EQed for high volume will sound thin at low volume.

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The highs on most amps are less harsh at a distance