• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Hmmm....

Guitarzandstuff

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, but it is not an old guitar. The wood is valued because it was likely air dried and is quite stable so should rightly be touted as a feature of that guitar, but it is not the same as vintage guitar.
Correct, not a vintage guitar. I always here “old wood” though and yes, it usually implies a vintage guitar. Hence my question. Old wood IS old wood...

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
Correct, not a vintage guitar. I always here “old wood” though and yes, it usually implies a vintage guitar. Hence my question. Old wood IS old wood...
There are plenty of high-end custom builders who source Old or otherwise Special wood e.g., Brazilian, or back and sides from OMFG!!! “The Tree”!!!! that enable them to upcharge.

Sinker Mahogany is a form of Old Wood. Martin charges for it and they have their special runs. They aren’t vintage, but it is valued.

Alan Wolf

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been frequenting hardwood lumber yards for about 50 years, and there is a huge difference in what boards used to look like, and the varieties that were available then and now. These are furniture oriented suppliers, so not luthier grade sources. But the story is still the same. Trees take a long time to grow, much of the prime forest land is gone, etc. As has been mentioned, most luthiers have a good supply of wood, that they’ve been “harvesting” for years. It isn’t just a matter of letting it properly dry, the basic wood is different. I think it’s completely honest to build a guitar with old wood, and advertise it as such.

Reactions: IAE

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
its an “old-wood guitar”

not an an “old, wood guitar”

speaking of, PRS did a run of Reclaimed Wood Ce24s and Velas - they looked amazing!

Guitarworks

It's a new guitar. It's not an old guitar. If you built an instrument using lumber from a 400 year old tree that recently died or collapsed, the only thing you would have in your corner as a selling point is the novelty of the wood being old growth wood. Many luthiers have stashes of old growth lumber from which they build instruments. I myself have had old-growth lumber that I used for builds and sold, and will again. IME, you would not have a treasure on your hands.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
It's a new guitar me from old wood. That's the good thing about words, if you put the right ones in the right order everyone knows what you're talking about.

Two new guitars made from old wood, the first by me from a knackered 1880s harmonium and the second by Fylde guitars from various bits of wood salvaged from old whiskey and rum casks.

RRfireblade

No it's not uncommon to call a new guitar old wood if it's made with old materials. That's actually pretty common thing nowadays. And not only in guitars.

Trending Topics