Hmmmm, don't know what to think of this take (Lukather/Ritenour content)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Baminated, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

I was really psyched when I saw who was covering such a sensitive tune. However, upon initial impression, it just sounds like they're playing ridiculously fast scale runs or blowin' "hot chops" just because "they can" to more of a degree than making melodic statements.
    Anyway, I'm sure I'd crap my diapers playing on the same stage as any one of those guys, and would probably be more suited to be a roadie at that gig, but that's my opinion . . .

2. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

I absolutely love that performance. I think Steve coaxed a bit of fire out of Lee in that one! :dude

3. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

4. Gandalf5150

Gandalf5150 Member

Different strokes etc, as some obsiously love it, but I fully agree with the above.

That said, I'm sure I've been guilty of the same thing, at my own level.

5. scottl

scottl Member

I agree with Baminated. Lots of fast licks ending on 1. Boring phrasing and not much said. For me....

Also, how about that Anthony Jackson? Love his bass playing!

6. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

God, I hate that sound and I hope it never comes back.

7. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Wow that was great. I enjoyed the guitar work, but even without that just listening to the rythym section was great. I'm learning what I enjoy and I think one thing I value over others in music is tight interaction between soloist and rythym section.

8. alguit

alguit Member

It's something, how we can all hear the same performance and have such different reactions! Of course, that's part of the fun of it all...

As for me-Lukather is grating on every level. I'm not a big LR fan, either. I'd take Jeff Beck for the win on this tune every time, and after that, I'd rather hear some more unique stylists try it, like Jim Campilongo-now THAT would be interesting!

9. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

As I have admittedly unrefinded taste (unabashed I'm a lukather fan) I'd appreciate some links.

10. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

Ain't that the truth! Lol! Like I posted before, I love this video. Saw it quite awhile ago & it's stuck with me. I also love Jeff Becks version, but then again, I'm not comparing them. I also love, a lot of different versions of Little Wing. I like all eras of Van Halen. I can't stomach very much jazz, hip-hop, etc. etc. Different strokes for different folks. It's all good!

11. DRS

DRS Member

Neither Larry nor Steve play with a lot of taste or soul on the OP's vid link. But I do know I was really into that style in 1990 and I would have been right on board back then.

12. alguit

alguit Member

Links for Beck? Or for Campilongo?

As for Lukather, I like when he got rid of his pedalboard (according to him, he threw it into his swimming pool!)-much better tone, more organic.

Alan

13. shg

shg Senior Member

I find that story hard to believe, given that all I've ever seen Lukather have on the floor is a switching system and a volume pedal. All his stuff has always been racked up. Now, if he threw his RACKS in a pool, then that's a story. Because I'd be amazed that anyone could lift those things to throw them.

14. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

You should check out Roy Buchanan's "The Messiah Will Come Again", an inspiration to both Beck (he dedicated "Cause We've Ended" to him), and Campilongo.

15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I've been a fan of Lukather's since I heard his solos in "Rosannna". He coaxes a wider variety of tones with his hands than Cap. Fingers in this clip, but if we're talking about an Olympic guitar sprinting event, the two of them ran neck and neck.

I probably wouldn't like any cover of this tune by the majority of my favorite guitarists anyway as most of them would probably play faster than warranted. The most likely exceptions would be Bill Frisell, David Torn, and John Scofield.

16. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

I can see why you were so negative in your first post about the OP vid. I'm just the opposite. I thought Roy was a great player, but can't particularly stand that bright reverb drenched tele tone. I prefer Gary Moore's rendition myself. It's cool we all have different tastes. More variety! :aok

17. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I just hate that thick, over-saturated, cranked pre- sound. There's no dynamics in it. I like Steve Lukather fine and think he's a very good player, especially his earlier stuff like on Boz Scaggs' Breakdown Dead Ahead, but can't stand that sound, especially what it became in the 80s. Gary Moore suffered from the same and I like his playing, too, but can't listen to anything he did after about 1980, especially Still Got The Blues.

Digital reverb and cranked pres make me feel queazy.

18. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

Yeah, I get it. It fascinates me how we all have such individual differences as to what is pleasurable to our ears. Most tele sounds are like nails on a chalkboard to me, in fact the Gary version of Messiah makes me cringe in some parts when he rolls off the volume and tries to kind of ape Roy's tone. However, millions of other people love that sound, and vice versa. I like a lot of 70's era power amp overdrive tones, and I love a lot of the 80's processed stereo tones. I do prefer a good overdrive vs. distortion though for my own playing. Whether it comes from a pedal, processor, or preamp doesn't really matter to me. I'm almost with you on reverb. I personally don't care for much reverb of any kind, spring or digital. I'm more of a delay fan.

19. Tmac1957

Tmac1957 Member

Would've liked to see that one live. It was good to see Lee unleashing a little. I always liked his style, although sometimes he forgets to unwind these days

20. alguit

alguit Member

Sorry, I meant to write rack, not pedalboard.

Alan