Ho hum - What Amps should I look into?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by m4tt, Feb 2, 2006.

1. m4tt

m4tt Member

I'm getting tired of taking the Fender Twin + Pedals route. I'm looking for something new that will cover all -my- bases, providing exact fendery cleans, incredibly chimey leads, and light od -> moderately hard crunch for modern rock.

I'm primarily a texas blues player (on my own), but lately have been backing up a lot of pop/rock singer songwriters (think coldplay, john mayer, and so forth).

It would be nice if one amp could take care of all this. I'm thinking 2x12 cab + matching head. Suggestions? It's appreciated.

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Take a look at the RG88 From Maven Peal. www.mavenpeal.com

I'll be posting a review of it in a couple of weeks.......

Best, Pete.

3. m4tt

m4tt Member

don't forget the soundclips! :BEER

4. m4tt

m4tt Member

no one else? :(

5. bailnout

bailnout Member

It's usually looked at as a somewhat hi-gain head but you might find the Custom Audio Amplifiers OD-100 (soon to be a Suhr product) on top of a THD or Bogner 8ohm 2x12 to be very satisfying for your needs.

I have the one that is the "SH" model which means "Scott Henderson". It's a mod they put on the clean channel to simulate his Fender Band Master or Super Reverb or something. I don't know for sure. But that clean sound is VERY Fendery and I love it.

The overdrive channel, like I said, has tons of gain in it but you can set it up for that "moderately hard crunch for modern rock" type of tone you are looking for as well as chimey leads. It also has a foot switchable and adjustable boost on channel 2 for more live flexibility.

On both channels the amp responds wonderfully to your guitar's volume control and it just loves pedals. I have never really been a big pedal guy but this amp has me inspired to check out a few. It definitely has made the pedals I already have more "effective". That said, the amp sounds great with no pedals at all.

Just a really versatile amp. GOOD LUCK!!

6. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the OD-100 as well after reading your requirements. If you go that route, make sure you research your needs....so many people go the SH or SE mod automatically without looking into the pro's/con tradeoffs of each.

Good luck.

7. bailnout

bailnout Member

Agreed, the SE mod would probably be wrong for m4tt and many people have said that the standard clean channel is very Fender-esqu anyway. And not only that, but try to find one to play through before you buy. I don't know how hard they are to find where you are. It doesn't seem like there are that many out there in stores. But I would always recommend try before you buy. That said, I didn't before buying my OD-100 and DO NOT regret it one bit. If you pick one up on the used market you should be able to turn it back around for what you paid for it if you don't like it.

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

What other amps have you played? What did you think of them? What sounds do you like/are you looking for?

9. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

the new fender supersonic sounds like what you're looking for, from what i've read anyways.

10. m4tt

m4tt Member

I'll definately take a look at the OD-100 and Fender Supersonic. Thanks for the recommendations!

I haven't played all that many amplifiers mentioned here because unfortunately here in Canada, boutique is SCARCE. I mean the closest we get is Fender/Mesa/Marshall at music chains. I've played basically everything in that category.

If there is a boutique community, I have yet to find it.

I haven't found any amplifiers close to the sound in my head. Although boutique sound clips exist on the 'net, I don't really find them to be an accurate portrayal of the amp's capabilities.

I could blindly go through and buy amps online and have them shipped from the states, but then I'm risking matching the sound in my head. Not to mention, I would incur fees from shipping and that isn't too nice on the student budget.

Such a dilemma :(

11. stratattack

stratattack Member

You might want to check out a Rivera M60. I've got a 1x12 combo with a 2x10 extension cab. The amp is incredibly versatile, two channel, very active EQ, additional boosts (Slavemaster and Ninja Boost). Does clean and overdrive well. Has an effects loop, good reverb. You have a lot of volume and tone control at your feet with the footswitch. Use a single coil- or humbucker-equipped guitar and you can get tone ranging from SRV (clean or dirty), to classic rock, to metal all without pedals (although, to be fair, you will need to make onboard EQ adjustments). Make sure you get or download the owner's manual as Rivera lists about 15 or 20 presets for each channel. They're out there and not expensive.

12. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Matt,

I played a Mesa Maverick for years doing the blues/rock thang' and it served me well. Mine has a single 12, 30 watts, reverb and easy to throw in the backseat of a car with your guitar case. I bought mine after playing '65 twin with a mountain of pedals too. I know how you feel.

I got a buddy who just bought a Rivera Knucklehead dual reverb head and it sounds awesome, but you gotta play it loud. That's why I like the lower wattage stuff for the blues. You can get into the power tubes and not flatten everyone in the bar.

Steve

13. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Matt,

I am really loving my Kendrick K-Spot combo. This amp is very simple to dial in, and does it all from very clean, to "on the edge", to full-on tweed on roids/plexi tones. Haven't heard a more touch responsive amp. I can do all the jazz/SRV/ZZ Top/Hendrix tones without a single pedal. Incomparable reverb too. You can get the swampiest or drippiest surf verb independent of preamp gain. In other words, the verb doesn't make the response farty or weak.

Easy to carry(35 lbs), usable volume (35W), and my favorite tones. I like the older Kendrick amps, but this one is different and really superb IMHO.

14. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I just recieved my 2 Rock Emerald pro Reverb today and just lit it up for about an hour and I'm floored.

I know this isn't even the honeymoon yet (I barely said my vows) but I gotta tell ya..........this amp has impressed me right off the bat like no other . I just sold a germino , a Fuchs, and 2 Brunos. All great amps in their own right but the 2Rock is a step above and really does what you ask and then some.

16. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

Mesa Booge F-50. It's all that and a bucket of chicken!

17. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

There's at least several amps that can do this. There are several Rivera models that could work, I would guess that M series (someone already suggested M60) or Fandango would work. To get the cleans to really sparkle, the 100 Watt versions would be my guess. The R100/212 is also a possibility but that becomes a question of whether it has the crunch you want. Original (old type) Rivera Knucklehead could be a good fit.

The CAA OD-100 is a candidate too.