• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Hoffee vs Calton Electric Guitar Cases

Ren007

Silver Supporting Member
What's the common view between both brands for those who've been able to try both? I'm mainly interested in seeing how durable and protective these cases are when compared to one another. For electric guitar.

Let’s meet up in Phoenix and play some rawk!
Silver Supporting Member
I'd bet they are both better than first rate.

DJ JD

For electrics, I've seen lots of Caltons but not a single Hoffee. But damn that carbon fiber looks cool! Hoffee is more popular in the classical guitar world.

Both brands are well loved by their customers. The Calton will be much heavier (but you probably already knew that).

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
So, my experiences vary…
Hoffee are great, but wow they are HUGE and heavy. A little overkill if you aren’t on a plane most of the time. Fit was good, but I didn’t feel confident in the latches, just felt a little sub par for the case. Also carbon fiber gets really ugly really fast.

I think calton are good for the size and weight ratio, but they are still heavy. I do like the latch protectors, and that it’s “crushproof.” They also remind me of my cedar creek case, in that, for electrics, they are so thin I think they are prone to fall over easier than the hoffee’s

I also have to say that $1k for a case even makes me cringe lol.

Ren007

Silver Supporting Member
Well this is quite the coincidence because just 2 days ago my interest for Calton cases was revived by their new rectangular shaped guitar case. Back when I made this post I was really intrigued by Hoffee's rectangular case and thought "Man, I wish Calton would do something similar". At the same time I'm nowhere near buying one yet after deciding to put a pedalboard upgrade first in the priority list.

Gonna take a gamble and see how the prices drive in the next months because the price is steep and I feel like the current promo for a free finish upgrade is baiting me. Calton is just way more convenient for me from my location, so I'll see if I'll have a chance to bump this up with a future update.

Blauserk

Gold Supporting Member
I currently have both Hoffee and Calton cases, albeit for acoustic instruments, not electric. Disagree with previous poster: Hoffee is much, much lighter for a given size. My Calton is great, but the thing is an anchor. I suspect that for electric guitar cases, the weight difference would be smaller because the cases are much smaller. (For example, the weight difference Hoffee and Caltons for mandolin cases is negligible, and I kinda prefer the smaller exterior size of the Calton mando cases I've had.)

The Caltons do have thick plastic guards around the latches, which is a plus if your case is checked or moved by others. I know that Hoffee offers "twist" latches in addition to the usual "locking draw" latches, which might be more secure for people who check instruments for flights. I think both Hoffee and Calton are kinda overkill for a lot of electrics unless you're a touring musician. (For acoustics, I like the added protection from the elements, heat and humidity.)

I went for opaque white on my Hoffee, which I think shows wear less than the carbon fiber finish. Roadworn carbon fiber (see the Milk Carton Kids below; the bottom one is Sierra Hull's octave mandolin case) doesn't offend me, but clear finish over carbon fiber definitely shows wear more.

Della-Mae.jpeg

The-Milk-Carton-Kids.jpg
Sierra Hull octave case.jpg

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Gold Supporting Member
My Hoffee (17" archtop) feels lighter than my Canadian Calton (classical)
I could be wrong but I`d guess the Calton is a little more crush resistent

Trending Topics

Top Bottom