Hoffman 5F6A board for 59 Bassman RI

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by EXP, Nov 26, 2004.

1. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

im thinking of getting a Hoffman board for my 59 Bassman RI, im mainly getting it for reliability issues;better components(pots,switches,caps), but was wondering if the tonal difference was a BIG improvement or just subtle. and yes ive got the tubes covered, NOS Tungsol 5881's, GE 5751's, and a Sylvania 5U4. anybody notice a difference when they installed the Hoffman board in their bassmans? thanks

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

nobody??? i know alot of people have put hoffman boards in their bassmans. cmon somebody, anybody?

3. BP-Plickner

BP-Plickner Silver Supporting Member

I put a Hoffman board in my 59 ri and it sounds great with the original speakers and trannys. To my old ears I would say a definite improvement.
    :D

4. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Depends where you ears are. Allot of people can't hear the difference, me personally think it's a major improvement.

5. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

they sound better, but gotta do more than the board. Changing OT and better tubes are part of the equation. Mine sounds different because I'm running KT66's, but before I had NOS 5881 and the combination of changes made the amp more user friendly to me. Not as boomy, smoother............my last change is to go with webers instead of the jensen ri's, but those will only make it sweeter.......prolly won't change the tone at all