Hoffman Board Kit

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by spence, Sep 22, 2004.

1. spence

spence Member

I'm considering putting a Hoffman Board kit in my Bassman LTD. Will I honestly hear a difference? How about If I change the transformer to a Mercury Magnetics?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I've heard several people say that the improvement was notable. However, this could be due to "buyers euphoria" (the opposite of buyers remorse). No way to say for sure what YOU will experience.

IMHO you'd get the most bang for your buck by installing a MM output transformer and possibly some better tubes.

3. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I owned a Bandmaster Reverb with a Hoffman AB763 kit in it, then placed into a 2x10 Vibrolux Reverb cab. Easily one of the very best BF Fender amps I've ever owned: Quiet, and super Phat.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have to agree, I think in order of importance:

Better tubes
    Better speakers
    Better OT
    PTP board...
    Higher quality parts (metal film resistors, better tone caps)

With the board change, you also have to be very careful about wiring-you can mess things up by changing lead dress and routing.

5. BP-Plickner

BP-Plickner Silver Supporting Member

I put a hoffman board in my early 59 reissue with the stock transformers..Wow! a completley different amp..that led me to a weber vst 5f6a fiber board kit that i stuffed in a beat 5e5 chassis i got off of ebay..a couple of extra pots and a 3 way selectable feed back switch, a great sounding amp..I like it more than the 59 for now[​IMG]
    I left some extra wire in there to keep the critters warm this winter

6. EricatWillcutts

EricatWillcutts Member

I put a Hoffman board in an old plexi RI, and loved it.Fat and warm, and it really cut down on the noise that is inherent in those Marshalls.