Hofner Verythin Classic, worth while?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by samdjr74, Jan 12, 2006.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Hi All,

I just got the new addition of Vintage Guitar in the mail yesterday and I was reading up on the Hofner Verythin Classic with the Clear control tone knobs. Any TGPer's have one of these? If so, thoughts opinions? Build quality? Are they made entirely in Germany? Worth the money?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. george4908

george4908 Member

I have one. It's a very cool guitar, something different that you don't see everyday. The pickups are more or less minihumbuckers, medium gain with a bit more top end than a fullsize humbucker. They're splittable with the tone control settings rather than by a push-pull or toggle. Very versatile and doesn't sound like anything else out there, it makes for fine jazz/pop guitar, but can handle blues or rock as well, and feedback is well-controlled. The build quality is very high and the woods are beautiful. The only issue was a little smoothing of the fret ends that I had taken care of. The neck carve is asymmetrical -- slightly fuller on the bass side, but if nobody pointed it out, you might not even notice. I keep .010s on it, but one of these days I mean to put some big, fat jazz flatwounds on it just to see what it sounds like. I also have a Bigsby I could install, but haven't worked up the nerve to drill into it.

3. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

Hi Samdjr (sammy davis junior?)

I have a Verythin antique. same pu´s.
    Build quality is very high.

these schaller miniHB´s work extremely well when switched to parallel!

the biggest difference makes the long fender scale.
    there´two versions, beware: they switched from a spruce sustainblock to mahogany recently. yes, that´s audible.
    and I have a spruce Top, I don´t know if there´s a spruce version of the classic…

If you find a spruce verythin GET IT!!

DrDespair

4. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

5. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I have been using a Verythin Classic for the last several months and have really been bonding with this guitar. Mine had some finish checking and a 'hazing' over the finish on the headstock. Cosmetic stuff aside I really, really like this instrument (I use it primarily ro play jazz standards) This guitar just makes me want to play more compared to say the ES 135 that I used to own.

6. samdjr74

Thanks for all the info guys, this helps. The one piece of gear I'm after this year is a semi hollow. I want a 335 but I like the abilities that the hofner can do with it's tone control.

Here's my list of what I'm thinking about.

New Gibson ES-335
    New Heritage 535
    Hofner Verythin Classic

Out of the 3, which would you go for?

Oh and samdjr74 = Sam Deo Jr. born in 1974 :)

7. samdjr74

My only one problem with the Hofner, no stores in my area seem to stock it

8. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

ooooh,

these three really don´t compare.

side by side:

THE sound associated with Es-335: Gibson. (mostly the pickups)
    but: Gibson quality. hard to find a good one. EXPENSIVE. thin neck.

Heritage: cheaper, better built. far better. a lot of coooool colours.
    more versatile (duncans stock). I prefer the neck, a little thicker.

Hofner: Even cheaper!! (Ok, I live 30 Km of the factory…:) )
    Longer scale, thick and broad neck. much more articulate no mud.
    excellently built. let me put it like this: it can be jazzy.
    but sound wise an es335 to a verythin is like a Lespaul to a tele custom…

more questions?

HammyD likes this.
  9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I spent a year looking for an ES-335. I had owned two 60's models, so I was very picky. When I played the Verythin, I was impressed, and nearly bought it. I ended up with a Heritage 535, with Schallar pickups (they were the brightest sounding). The Heritage just felt more like my old Gibsons. The Hofner was very nice, but felt a little too thin.

10. fuzzy4dice

fuzzy4dice Guest

Man, I also saw that review. The "French Laquering" really turned me on, I could really believe that affects the tone, and I don't mind if it looks checked or vintage.

At this point, I've already made some purchases, so I'll have to hold back a little...however...

I'll be keeping a narrowed eye out!:rolleyes:

11. 57special

57special Member

I would play everything i could get my hands on, but would sugggest a Heritage 535 in lieu of a Gibson 335 (check out a Guild SF 4 also). The Hofner is different but, in the same family. They are well made, and if you can get the "violin finish" for just a few hundred more then jump on it. They feel and sound great. I believe it's a French polish. Most companies, if they even offered it (most don't) would charge an extra grand at least. Hofner can do it more cheaply because they are already set up due to being a violin manufacturer.

12. samdjr74

So it sounds like the Hofner doesn't have the same power and fullness of a 335, 535 or SF4, am I correct? Or is it just the matter of a completely different sound where the hofner will never be able to reproduce the sound of a 335 but at the same time a 335 can never sound like a hofner?

13. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

different.

IMHO the hofner rocks.
    no rubberbandy wound strings. just TONK! cool for hard strumming rhythms and articulated muted runs.

if you want classic middy blrrrr blllr : ES335
    if you want It more open and direct, with definition: hofner

Drdespair

14. samdjr74

Ok, well I'm going to be trying out the Hofner soon. One last question, how does the neck feel as far as the width? I'll find out for myself in a couple of weeks but until I get to try the Hofner can someone compare it anotyher guitar? Does it feel more like a Gibson, Ric, Fender? I know this is a hard one to answer but any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Sam

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

The neck of the Verythin I played, was larger than my Heritage. I would say more like a Les Paul. A little neck heavey, with the thin body.

16. DrDespair

DrDespair Member

feels broader, isn´t.

the necks got thinner, more U-like over the years.
    the oldest I tried was a big D baseball bat.

If you buy a new one, you should be alright. in any case fatter than a 335.

DrDespair

17. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

That review in Vintage Guitar certainly caught my attention, though I have not found a single one anywhere on the web in the violin finish. It seems to have been a special finish for the review. The Verythin Classic Vintage has this, but is a one pickup guitar. The Verythin Classic itself seems to only come in vintage natural. Anyone found a lead on these in the violin finish?

I too am on a semi-hollow hunt. My contenders are a Heritage H535, the Hofner Verythin Classic, and a Gretsch Tennessee Rose (I know, they are all different flavors). Leaning towards the Heritage, but would be tested by a Hofner if I could even find one.

18. samdjr74

Hi telebuck,

I'm in the same boat, I want a 335 style but don't care much for a Gibson. I know the heritage 535 and 555 are great guitars but I want something a little different. The hofner looks great on paper but I still haven't played one yet and the lack of a bigsby might be a problem for me. The only other guitar I'm serisuoly adding to the list is a guild SFV or VI, which ever plays, sounds and feels better.

Sam

19. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

Sam,
    A couple others I'm interested in are the Ibanez Scofield model (looks to be about $2k) and the soon to be released Eastman Blues Deluxe. Ed Roman touts it on his page... also shows up on the JHale music site. Quite a looker. The 535s and 555s at Wolfe guitars are particularly tempting with their vintage appointments and upgraded pickups.

20. K-man

K-man Member

If you're looking for a quality semi-hollow, check out the Hamer Newport Pro. It will run circles around Gibson or Heritage. Cheaper too. Stock they come with spruce tops, but I've seen them with maple tops too which might sound more like a 335.