Holdsworth catalog- Where to start?

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
I also agree that "Metal Fatigue" a pretty great entry point, followed by "Sixteen Men of Tain" - first a bit rockier, second more jazzy.
The "IOU" record was very important when released, so perhaps in third. The remastered "IOU Live in Japan" is also pretty stellar w/ Paul Williams, Jimmy Johnson & Chad Wackerman. I'm mostly keen on recordings w/ Gary Husband on drums, much less taken by AH's SynthAxe years.

And, yes, there's some very important sideman work, mostly focused on lead playing: Soft Machine "Bundles", Tony Williams New Lifetime "Believe It", Bruford "Feels Good to Me", Jean-Luc Ponty "Enigmatic Ocean", Soft Works "Abracadabra", "UK", the Live at Yoshi's DVD or "Blues for Tony" CD with Alan Pasqua/Jimmy Haslip/Chad Wackerman.

Last edited:

Rusty Dutch

Gold Supporting Member

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks man, that’s really interesting. I’d been told it was a pseudo for Allan because of contractual issues with his label. Dude does a good Holdsworth impression, wonder what happened to him.

Of course, you're right that the "Land's End" solo is very Holdsworth-like.

John Clark primarily played w/ British pop legend Cliff Richard post-Bruford.

Rob G

There are so many amazing tracks.

The Tony Williams Lifetime record Believe It was my introduction to Allan so that one will always be special for me. I think Road Games and Metal Fatigue are probably the most accessible.

One AH album that I particularly love that doesn't seem to get mentioned as much is Secrets.

The recent live series of releases are also excellent.

Tomo El Gato

I really like the Soft Machine 'Bundles', great album and great early playing from Alan.

As for Alan's solo albums, the IOU period is great - I alike all three albums equally, so I'd probably just start with the first one, "IOU". There's a pop element to it, that's very appealing, lot's of interesting guitar textures. In a perfect world this band would've been as popular as the 80s King Crimson, and both bands on the same bill would've been a dream gig to attend.

Many people have mentioned "16 Men of Tain" - it's a masterpiece.

Atavachron and Sand, the SynthAxe period, have a lot of cool tunes, and display the 'electronic musician' side of Holdsworth, which is often understated. Atavachron is another one of my favorites, I find it fun to listen to.

ripple

With Kung Fu Grip and Lifelike Hair
Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for starting this thread @skhan007 !

I too have been wanting some Holdsworth for my collection and was wondering where to start... this thread has been gold!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Lots to discover...

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Been listening to Tony Williams Lifetime- Believe It and Bruford- Obe Of A Kind lately. Outstanding

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Still on the Holdsworth deep-dive. There is just so much. I found the Heavy Machinery album interesting and experimental with the crazy low drop tunings. Love UK more than anything else so far. Metal Fatigue, Sands, 16 Men, and Atavachron are all pretty amazing. So much more to listen to, however. Total mind-blown with each album I'm listening to.

Still on the Holdsworth deep-dive. There is just so much. I found the Heavy Machinery album interesting and experimental with the crazy low drop tunings. Love UK more than anything else so far. Metal Fatigue, Sands, 16 Men, and Atavachron are all pretty amazing. So much more to listen to, however. Total mind-blown with each album I'm listening to.
His catalogue is pretty darn amazing. My personal favorite is "Sixteen Men of Tain"

devicaster

So, AH is an awesome player that most of us really appreciate. I know various tracks, but don't know where to start for listening to his full-length albums. I believe IOU and Metal Fatigue are the ones that get the most mentions. I also like tracks from Atavachron and the release he did with the Johansson brothers. What albums should I prioritize to get the full AH experience?

When I got Spotify I was already on a deep Fusion dive and that opened the floodgates on my Holdsworth education. I gravitated more toward Allans collaborations with Tony Williams in the 70's as well as his appearances with Soft Machine &the band U.K.. Theres a LOT of stuff out there tho.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom