Holdsworth digs Eleven Rack?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by steinny, Dec 24, 2009.

1. steinny

steinny Member

Look at the quote towards the top of the page:

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/eleven_rack/

"As you probably know I have worked for a number of years with "modeling" amps of various kinds including plug ins, however, I have to say that the Eleven Rack is quite extraordinary; it's absolutely my favorite!" ”
    Legendary Guitarist Allan Holdsworth

Holdsworth has been known to endorse gear that he doesn't necessarily like/use that much (Carvin, H&K)...but interesting to see if this ends up replacing all those $99 Magicstomps...

2. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

I can see him liking it....Lots of cool possibility

3. toneqwst

toneqwst Member

I have followed Allan Holdsworth since the 70's and have seen him perform live at least eight times over the years. And at each successive performance he would have a different amp and effects set-up, including both tube and solid state amps. However, despite the constant evolution of gear, his sound and tone remained remarkably constant, with just minor refinements.

He is a master at getting inside amps and effects to extract the best tone from everything he uses, and I don't doubt that he has tried the 11R, and probably the Axe-Fx and other various modelers, as well. I have visited the Sweetwater site, and although there are other artists who have contributed clips of their patches with the 11R, there is no contribution of such by Allan, despite his complimentary comment. Perhaps these may be forthcoming, as I, for one, would love to hear some clips of his 11R patches to hear if his signature tones can be replicated with the 11R.

4. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

:banana:banana

5. steinny

steinny Member

He's actually been using the Yamaha stuff pretty much exclusively for about the last 15 years...he uses the H&K amps as power amps for the Magicstomps.

My personal favorite tone is the Secrets-era Mesa/Steinberger tone...to me that's still the epitome of what high-gain electric guitar is supposed to sound like...

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

[​IMG]

I saw him within the last few years live and he was using yamaha UD stomps ( which he just started using when yamaha first manufactured them - maybe about 2003 or so ? ) before that he had a huge rack that included some yamaha rack gear ( spx 90 for instance )...but he had a ton of other stuff as well - lexicon, eventide harmonizer etc, etc.

Now that the UD stomp was discontinued a few years back he had been using a few magicstomps ( they have some of the programs he did for the UD stomp which he helped design )

Also, I've seen him a few times and have never seen any H&K stuff. He been using the fender solid state amps shown here for a while now I think ( he put them on the crunch rythmn mode if I remember right and runs them in stereo ).

This is a shot I took of his set up at a show he did in Boston in 2005 - 2006 if I remember right ( you can see the two ud stomps on the side and the fender amps feeding the marshall cabs )....

was a great show !

But it seems know matter what gear he uses he always has that distinctive holdsworth sound !

7. steinny

steinny Member

In that setup he was using a DG1000 rack for his lead tones--he used:

DG1000->UD stomp->power amp->marshall cabs

for lead sound and:

UD stomp->fender twin

for clean.

Now he uses magicstomp->H&K switchblade for clean and magicstomp (lead tone)->magicstomp (UD stomp sim)->power amp of H&K zentera for lead:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  8. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Does anyone know whether Allan has duplicated his magicstomp set-up with the 11?

Thanks

9. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Member

I've also followed Allan live through the decades and gear, beginning with a strat and Marshall in the late 70s, through to the Yamaha Stomp stuff. Have seen him numerous times with various gear.

There's no doubt Allan's always been a tweaker and has utilized advances in technology to slim down the effects rig he used to have to bring out for his spacey chordal stuff. I couldn't believe that wide, chorusey, echoey sound when I heard it live at the Keystone Berkeley in probably 1979 or 80. Now there are presets on $100 multi-effectors that can probably get you close..

Re: his consistently great lead tones, always perfect for the insane lines he plays....For me this just goes to the axiom about 'it' being in the hands. In Allen's case certainly: head and hands.

Looking forward to seeing him live tomorrow night with Terry and Tony. Whatever he plays through - I think it will be Stomps and H+Ks- I'm pretty certain it will sound just like Allan Holdsworth.

10. steinny

steinny Member

As I mention above Allan apparently has no shame about endorsing products he doesn't actually like or use so it wouldn't surpise me if he's not using it all.

AFAIK it doesn't have anything resembling the 8-tap UD Stomp delay which Allan considers key, though maybe you can have multiple delay pedals lined up in Eleven?

11. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

No you can't get those delays from the 11 currently (though you can insert a stomp into the 11's effects loop) but I was referring primarily to the lead tone...

Thanks

12. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

That's what I wondered when I saw this thread - how will he ever get his delays? It looks like he's pretty comfortable using the UDs with other gear though. I imagine he'll just run them into the Eleven.

I'm not surprised he gave it a try. He was pretty happy with the MagicStomp for a lot of things - as am I. I'm not a fan of his playing really, but he can create some really great tones.

If he gets his hands on an Axe-FX, he won't need the Eleven or those UDs anymore though...

D

13. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Couldn't he use outboard gear (Eventide/other higher end) into the 11R for his delays...

14. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

That's what I said I think he'll do, run the UD Stomps into the Eleven.

D

15. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

H&K's are great amps. The Triamp Mark II is amazing sounding and very versatile. The downside is that they are made in Germany and there's almost no service here for them. The reason is that they are like a modern car under the hood. No one dares work on them because there's so much going on inside. They look totally intimidating to most techs.

16. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

You should see the inside of my zenTera head. It's like a work of art. I can see where it would be intimidating.

I'd like to try an 11R (and an Axe-FX). I have a GSP1101 now and it is good but I just use it for the effects. The zenTera sounds quite a bit better than the GSP amp models. I wanted to simplify my setup and go GSP only but I can't give up the zen's tone.

17. steinny

steinny Member

Perhaps I stand corrected, looks like he has an 11R in his setup on tour now, see 6:09:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irlZZE2Xfb0

Curious whether he's actually using it for his lead tones or if it's just window dressing the way the H&Ks are...

18. heavypick

heavypick Member

Agreed, that is a killer tone! Peril Premonition!!!

19. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to get something like his Stomp lead sounds from the 11?

Thanks

20. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Anyone?
    Thanks