Holdsworth tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tchello, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Tchello

Tchello Member

I'm looking for a od pedal that have a tone similar to Allan Holdsworth solo in Metal Fatigue album.
    I'm using Fender tube amps and Tom Anderson guitars with humbuckers.
    Any suggestions, please?

2. Power Freak

Power Freak Member

A few people say the original sans amp is good for the holdsworth tone, ask around at:

www.therealallanholdsworth.com/forum

They seem to know just about everything about Mr. Holdsworth.

:)

3. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

I'd look into the Demeter FOD. Holdsworth uses active electronics in his guitars, and always has that huge mid to his tone. The FOD has the Demeter active mid boost, and the OD just puts it over the top. If I didn't already have so many great boosters and ODs right now, I'd buy one. Instead, I still plan on buying the mid boost.

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

Are you sure about this?

Every time I've seen AH's guitars they had Seymour Duncans and passive eq, even the Steinbergers.

6. KTT

KTT Member

Correct,Allan Holdsworth does not use active electronics in his guitars,he likes passive wiring,the mid "hump" comes from post eq on the amp,and rolling the tone/volume knob back on the guitar

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Holdsworth has never used pedals for overdrive, so it's not the easiest call... While I prefer amp overdrive, the V-Stack has proven versatile/invaluable... As mentioned, Tech21 does indeed make some great stuff.

8. Madsman

Madsman Member

I could have SWORN they were EMGs in the Holdsworth video. I must be getting something confused. My bad.

9. Power Freak

Power Freak Member

He DID use EMGs for a while on his "Secrets" album but he doesn't strictly use active pickups. Now he uses a custom Duncan pickup (custom as in custom shop, not the production model duncan.) It's similar to the 59 although it has two rows of screws and it is slightly underwound (putting a regular 59 neck pickup in the bridge would get you a similar output) and I've also heard that the magnets are A2 but some people say it's A5 (chip on the Holdsworth forums will know.)

:)

10. tone4days

tone4days Member

holdsworth is also a big 're-amper' kinda guy, ain't he? ... mic'ing a 'cab in a box' then adding effects to the mic'd signal before sending it off ... not the kinda thing you'd get in a pedal

t4d

11. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

In a recent article, he says he tours just using Yamaha DG stomps into rented amps. it sounded like he helped develop some of the delays that Yamaha is using in those pedals.

12. dangdog

dangdog Guest

Ask Red Planet.

13. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Holdsworth is using THD stuff nowadays.

14. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
  15. muddy

muddy Member

16. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

MI Audio Blue Boy. Surprisingly close, if you want it to be. (I didn't get it for that, but it's in there)

17. mailman

mailman Member

Wasn't Holdsworth using a THD something-or-other in there occasionally for his awesome sound?:confused:

18. michael_ibrahim

michael_ibrahim Member

Hi guys,

I'm a big Holdsworth fan, and I've had the pleasure of seeing him about 10 times here in Sydney. Australia. I got interested in tone as a result of the stunning sounds he produces. The guy's from another planet!

At the end of the day, I'm starting to think that it's in the fingers! Equipment helps, but if you think about it, Allan has often used the strangest equipment, and often things that you wouldn't associate with his type of playing. I mean, come on, throughout the 90's, he was using a 'nu-metal' amp (dual recto)!!! How many jazz fusion guys use a dual recto!?

Next, he went on to use a digital modelling amp (Yamaha), to another tube amp (THD univalve), and has recently started mucking around with the vox modelling unit!!! The one constant is Allan.

In terms of my pedals, I think the Tube Zone might be a bit closer than the Blue Boy,... it's a bit tighter and more focused. Just don't go nuts on the gain!

19. muddy

muddy Member

ah, forgot about the tube zone. one of the clips on the miaudio site nails his tone. :cool:

ml

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Yeah, that was cool. Very nice tones on that pedal.