Hole 'reducers' Octal-> 9 pin ???

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by RL in Fla, Jan 12, 2008.

1. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

I've seen em somewhere before but can't "re-find" em .

Chassis hole = punched for an octal , so you just use one of these metal "reducer washers" to retro-fit a 9 pin socket .

Where'd I see these thangs guys ??? :confused:

2. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

9 pin noval socket has smaller diameter than 8 pin octal and needs a smaller mounting hole in the chassis. There's also a 9 pin magnoval socket that has same dimensions as octal and fits in the same hole but you don't often see this one .

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

A 9 pin will fit ok just move the tabs off to a different spot and drill new holes. I did that on the chassis I am working on now I took out the octal socket and replaced it with a 9 pin socket. I just moved the socket over so it touched one side and drilled new holes for the tabs and screwed it in the chassis nothing to it. Yea ya have a small open space on one side but no big deal it is not going to hurt anything.

4. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Thanks guys . :AOK I'll pass it on .

That'll work , OTM , but the one I saw somewhere was just an el-cheapo stamped ring & more of a "concentric oval doughnut" shape .
    Sorta like a reducer ring for a breaker panel . ;)

I'd do the re-drill like 45 suggests if it were mine . Drill 2 new holes , cover with aluminum tape , trim for the base to enter , and screw down the new one .
    I did the "tape cover" to the capcan hole in a Champ re-do that way . Tape on both sides & drive on ... :D

5. sliberty

sliberty Member

I have been looking for solutions to this myself. The best solution is really hard to find, and I have been lucky twice -- there were some sockets made many years ago that are the same physical size as an octal socket, but are configure for noval tubes. This gives the cleanest solution of course. :ast time I found a few at Angela, and bought all they had (only like 3 or 4 unfortunately). Keep your eyes open for stuff like this and grab them when you can.

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

I had never heard of these before, but after reading this, I did a search and came up with....

http://www.music123.com/Groove-Tube...tal-to-9-Pin-Adapter-212316-i1125634.Music123

Pretty costly solution unfortunately.