Holes in project body are too big...what do I do?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mike80, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mike80

mike80 Member

I'm working on my buddy's string-thru body project guitar, and I've noticed that the holes for the string ferrules are bigger than the ferrules. The ferrules are just a fuzz too small. They're 5/32" on top and 5/16" on the bottom. I could probably go with a bigger ferrule on top, but the spacing between the holes on bottom isn't going to let me go with a 3/8" ferrule.

Any suggestions? Should I fill the holes with wood putty and re-drill them? It's going to be a solid color top, not transparent color.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

You wouldn't want to fill with putty or anything else that soft. If you need to downsize the holes it's best to dowel them with face grain dowels and redrill the size you need. You may even be able to find the dowels in the same species of wood that the body is.

Face grain dowels are usually available at woodworking supply stores.

3. mike80

mike80 Member

Thanks Jack. That was another option that I had just been looking at. I really didn't want to have to redrill, but I think that's the only way it's going to get done.

I may just fill the holes and go with a hardtail instead, that way it's not all messed up. I don't trust myself with that much precision.

4. Bussman

Bussman Member

I've had great luck restoring beat up guitars with epoxy based Quickwood. It dries very hard and is sandable, paintable, etc.

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Why not file the sides of the ferrules so they fit together? Then just dab some clear nail polish on the filed part?