Holeyboard vs Custom District Boards

yawiney

Any users of either of these that can offer advice? My need is to be able to take only 3-5 pedals off the board sometimes(alot of switching back and forth).

How well do the zipties/velcro loops hold the pedals in on the Holeyboards?

is the quick change system on C. District as easy as it seems?

if I go with Custom District I will need a smaller board in addition to the main one to switch pedals out to so I dont have to take the plates off and get the dual lock full of lint ect.
With Holeyboard I could do it with one board and just take 3-5 pedals without a board when I need since there is no dual lock or velcro needed.
other choices? These 2 seem like the only choices for someone who needs to switch pedals around and take up a tiny space on stage at times.

weaksauce

I have no experience with either boards, but i looked at getting the holeyboard myself. Perhaps try looking at Temple Audio pedal boards as well (http://templeboards.com) No affiliation with the company, but I have seen them in person. The plate system that they have come up with seems pretty cool!

Alchemy Audio

I think the benefit of the Holeyboard (and one of the marketing features) is pedals can be attached using zip ties instead of Velcro. I own a Holeyboard and also used one for a customer who I was assisting with a touring pedalboard setup. Christian, the owner of Chemistry Design Works (Holeyboard), is a good guy who answered a few questions I had about the products. I would say if you plan to be removing pedals from the board frequently and don't want to be slapping Velcro on every pedal, go with the Holeyboard. Plus, I think they are pretty cool looking.

pickleweed

I think the benefit of the Holeyboard (and one of the marketing features) is pedals can be attached using zip ties instead of Velcro. I own a Holeyboard and also used one for a customer who I was assisting with a touring pedalboard setup. Christian, the owner of Chemistry Design Works (Holeyboard), is a good guy who answered a few questions I had about the products. I would say if you plan to be removing pedals from the board frequently and don't want to be slapping Velcro on every pedal, go with the Holeyboard. Plus, I think they are pretty cool looking.
yea, alot of people think theyre ugly, but i think theyre a pretty unique solution and pretty sweet looking myself

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I have several "amp top" Holeyboards and 1 two-level "standard" Holeyboard.

I love them.

Look and feel: they're light, space-efficient, easy to put together, and look great. You can paint/stain them to taste.

Functionality: it's easy to configure each pedal board, and the amp tops are highly modular. What I mean by "highly modular" it that you can easily combine or segregate multiple "small boards" depending on what you're trying to do [e.g. mix and match "dirt boards" with "modulation boards" or with "control boards"].

I frequently put two amp tops next to each other on the floor or have one on the floor and one on the amp.

Zip ties are easy to use and have not damaged any of my pedals. I put Power Supplies under the "amp tops" with zip ties and under the riser on the "standard."

Service: I have had only very positive experiences with Chris/Christian through multiple sales. If something went wrong, he fixed it right away.

Last edited:

yawiney

I have several "amp top" Holeyboards and 1 two-level "standard" Holeyboard.

I love them.

Look and feel: they're light, space-efficient, easy to put together, and look great. You can paint/stain them to taste.

Functionality: it's easy to configure each pedal board, and the amp tops are highly modular. What I mean by "highly modular" it that you can easily combine or segregate multiple "small boards" depending on what you're trying to do [e.g. mix and match "dirt boards" with "modulation boards" or with "control boards"].

I frequently put two amp tops next to each other on the floor or have one on the floor and one on the amp.

Zip ties are easy to use and have not damaged any of my pedals. I put Power Supplies under the "amp tops" with zip ties and under the riser on the "standard."

Service: I have had only very positive experiences with Chris/Christian through multiple sales. If something went wrong, he fixed it right away.
So the zip ties really hold thru on the road travel ect? How bout re-useable options like those velcro bands or the little mini seat-belt things(don't know what they are called).
I also am in the minority that likes the look of the Holeyboards.

yawiney

Just checked out the Templeboards and might be ruling out Custom District despite Elan spending 20 min. on the phone with me discussing all the options and being very helpful.
The Templeboard's plate system having the hole on the plate instead of the screw sticking out(Custom District's system) allows pedals to be used off the board on the ground or on a different type of board without taking the plate off.
My big question here is; With only that small depth on the plate will the screw really hold when the board is on the road? Anyone that has a Templeboard please chime in.

pale fire

Silver Supporting Member
Been using Holeyboards for a while (have several). I pull the zip ties pretty tight and have never had a pedal slip or come loose....I have turned the board upside down and shaken it hard to test, too. I like the shape and look...and it is an extra plus to not have Velcro on the pedals. Like others, I mount the power supply under the top tier and tie down all the power cables so it is a pretty clean setup. As far as quick changes; at first I thought this was the disadvantage...with Velcro, you would just pop on / pop off. But as I have come to use the HB more I have gotten fast at clipping the zip tie and mounting a new pedal. Thought about the Velcro tie downs, too - use them for tying down power and connector cables, but haven't tried them with pedals yet. Probably tied down 100+ pedals and the only ones with marks from the zip ties are Mooer...which I assume is - for $70, how good is the finish going to be?

jkruger03

I have a Holeyboard with 4 Eventide pedals and haven't had any issues so far. The pedals move slightly but aren't going anywhere.

corn husk bag

Zip ties are as fast as velcro, and cheap to buy too. Takes less then a second to cut a zip tie. You can buy different grades of zips depending on what your needs are. No goo to mess with.

Steve

Grainslayer

I think the chemistry board looks pretty cool.especially the two level one..I'm sure the zip tie idea works fine but I'd like to see something a little cleaner..

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
Yawiney I've had no issues.

I do use multiple zips for power supplies and some pedals.

justin

Double Platinum Member
I just ordered one from custom district. 32" angled board. Black with blue led lights pre-installed. One input, two outputs and a midi jack. Can't wait. Very helpful service so far.

Epichecho

The hole spacing on the Holeyboard restricts placement somewhat. There's always a workaround but it can get messy.

The builder is not very communicative.

yawiney

I think the chemistry board looks pretty cool.especially the two level one..I'm sure the zip tie idea works fine but I'd like to see something a little cleaner..
Yeah the zipties across the pedals don't look so great. I'm now really tempted by the Templeboards.

dB

Silver Supporting Member
The Holeyboards look like so much thought when into the design of the board itself, but the whole zip tie thing looks like an afterthought. I'm sure the plan was to always use zipties, but it's such a juxtaposition to see such a clean, thoughtful and well executed board design, with a super ghetto fastening solution.

Eliguitar

Silver Supporting Member
I love my custom district board! I had a riser made for it so its small and portable but I can fit a lot of pedals! I think it looks great too!

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
The staggering of the pedals (i.e. one higher then one lower) on the HoleyBoard is actually a plus for me.

Specifically, staggering pedals makes it straightforward to "tap dance."

I'm impressed by how many pedals can be fit on an Amp Top assuming you're willing to intersperse mini-pedals and stagger the pedals more generally.

Trending Topics