Holier Grail any good? Need warm "Room" and "ambient" settings!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by speedyone, Aug 8, 2008.

1. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Hello all,

I am looking for a reverb pedal to give me some warm Room and Ambient settings...nothing trippy. I just use these two settings with about 40 milliseconds of delay to fatten-up my distortion tone.

I have not ever used analog reverb pedals; however, I have gotten some other true-bypass analog pedals, and finally know what I've been missing!

My preious reverb units have been digital pedals, some multi-fx units, PODs, J-station, etc. But they all seemed sterile and lifeless.

I read some good things about the Holier Grail, and saw it has the Room setting I'm looking for.

Would you guys recommend this pedal, or another one, just for the Room or Ambient settings?

Again, I don't need alot of bells and whistle, just some warm/lively tone!

Thanks for any input you can give me!!

2. speedyone

Bump for opinions

3. speedyone

Any thoughts?

I would appreciate input from those who own/owned a Holier Grail!

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

That thing is huge, I can't tell you about it, but I do recommend the new Hardwire Reverb. Killer pedal.

5. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I'd also recommend you try out the Marshall Reflector RF-1. It's the $118. It got sufficient settings for most uses. Nothing really wacky. If it does the job, you've saved some money.

6. speedyone

Thanks for the suggestions.

Indeed, I don't need a reverb pedal with 8 million settings; all I want is a good, warm Room tone!

I shall check out the two you suggested, thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

7. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

If you want simplicity, I would recommend the Holy Grail. I used the spring setting for year in my loop and it was great. No complaints.

8. d-b

d-b Member

Look at the Holy Grail Plus. I love mine. It has great features and great sound.

9. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

Mr Springgy from Lee Jackson. Great Fender type reverb.

10. speedyone

Thank you again for the input everyone. I will check all of those out!

The RV-7 looks pretty good to me at the moment as it seems to have a good tone, is cheap, and is true bypass.

I never put much stock into true bypass before (because I was using all solid state gear,) but now that I have a nice tube amp, I can definitely tell the difference. I just picked up an MXR Carbon Copy three days ago, and that thing sounds EXCELLENT. As an extra bonus, there is no tone suck from it when it's turned off.