Holland amps. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robertgordon, Jun 15, 2006.

1. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

2. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I have 2 Holland Heads, A clean amp, the Brentwood which is in my top 5 of best cleans I have ever heard and a Titan which is A kt 66 amp with a lot of gain that is a great Marshally tone when wound up. I have matching closeback cabs with Eminence speakers in them, I think they are awesome amps, something a litle different sonically to my ears, they may be for sale, p.m me if you are interested., Ciao, Marc

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Holland had a bad rep for customer service and things breaking-OTOH if the amp in question is in good shape then it might be one of the good ones. Seems to me they were take-offs on classic themes, and sounded good when they worked.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I used to sell/and play as well Holland amps...Mike Holland is a very good guy, but he used to pride himself on the fact that he wanted all of his amps to sound different....That is to say that no 2 amps of any given model I ever played sounded the same...I tried to get him to be more consistant, but he was a tone tweaker...their build quality is quite good.. He built an amp for a customer that had {I think} 2/12's and a 10...It was the largest combo I have ever seen, with the exception of the old 7 foot Magnatones...It sounded great as well...It was a Gibb Droll model...Still don't know who he is...Take care mIKE,,,WHEREVER YOU ARE

5. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I've tried the 4X10 Gibb Droll model -- essentially a hot rodded '59 Bassman -- and a heaping helping of righteous harmonic chili! :drool

Would have bought it too, but someone beat me too it. And at $900, for a used amp, it was a bit steep for me.

Anyway, if I wanted a tweed Bassman-type amp that's the one I'd get.

Guitar Player gave it a nice review in the '95 Blues Deluxe issue w/T-Bone Walker on the cover.

Holland made an amp called the Bishop that featured a separate 10 inch driver for the wet/reverb signal. Very cool! :crazy

6. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I've got a Holland Little Jimi, 50 watt version with 5881 tubes. The sound is BF with some Vox thrown in. Takes pedals really well.

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Holland does the BEST clean out there with the most lucious reverb, bar NONE.
    I keep wanting to get another but my small space can't even handle his 32W brentwood :( it just shakes the walls!

Also for the ones that I was able to gain it up high enough to break it up. SSSWWWEEETTT!! (I had a 100W head but I was afraid to literally bring down the house if I gained it for break up)

8. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

I also had the Brendwood and a Titan...Loved the Brendwood...after the company split I had send Mike Holland my Titan to his house for some mods. I never got the amp back from Mike...it has been over 3 years now and no amp...anyway I called Lane his late partner at the office told him about it and he was awsome, he sended me another amp...(he did not have too do it) my cudos goes to Lane and his gang...but I can not say the same for Mr. Mike Holland...guys be carefull dont send anything back to Mike he will keep the amps.

I hope this helps someone here.

Adios

9. r9player

Auch Galo sorry to hear that! I actually had your 100W Brentwood head for a while (now Procos combo) and it was just every bit as amazing as the 32W I had before, but just way too much to handle for my place.
    If I could do it over, I'd want a 1x12 or 2x10 Brentwood .. 32W or so.

10. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

11. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

Pai good to here from you man!!!
    God bless.
    Galo

12. Mike

Mike Member

I'm not Procos, but you're right, I put the 100 watt Brentwood in a combo. It's for sale at $1150. Bill Chapin now owns the 50 watt head I had.

[​IMG]

At least 2 cool things about this amp. 3 knob reverb, and awesome sweep control that seems to change the tone stack from spanky to smokey.

13. r9player

Oops sorry my bad .. say .. would you trade it to me for my Pritchard Jade Dagger?? please? :)

14. Mike

Mike Member

No problem, no thanks! I'm thinning the proverbial herd, as they say.

Mike

15. r9player

Let me see if I can sell the Pritchard then in the Emporium :D

16. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    i heard tonegurus' Holland @ his place & it killed. i know Bill Chapin well & if he got one, that's an indication of special-ness...

:cool:

17. Mike

Mike Member

Sho 'nuff! Of course, he's been inside it now and tweaked it to his tastes. :NUTS I'm looking forward to playing through it again some day - it sounds great over the phone.

Mike

18. r9player

Well I posted the Pritchard in the Emporium .. if it sells expect an email or PM .. :D

19. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Great amps ! What controls are on that head ?

20. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Back in 1998, I played two Hollands at a guitar show in Chicago - a 3x10 combo (Bandmaster knock-off), and 4x10 Gibb Droll. Both were really nice amps, and the 3x10 sounded smokin' hot.