• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

‘Hollow’ 80’s distortion

mambomonkey

Hi gang. Looking to achieve that compressed, 80’s distortion sound that I’ve always thought of as ‘boxy’ but Andy Martin probably best described it as ‘hollow’...

I am usually a light gain dude and don’t play a ton of hair rock (hence my strat/Two Rock setup) however we’ve started playing more 80’s stuff in a covers band I am in and I’ve always secretly gassed after that tone as a guilty pleasure...

Think something similar to Daryl Stuermer’s outro solo on this (from 4.17) and sorry in advance for any non-Phil Collins fans

I already have a JHS Angry Charlie that does the JCM great but it’s not quite as ‘hollow’/compressed as I am looking for. Wondering if something like a Mad Prof. Mighty Red might get me closer?

Any thoughts appreciated!!!

Last edited:

Guppie

To my ears that "hollow" sound always sounded like two guitar tracks out of phase. Not necessarily a specific type of distortion.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
There weren’t a ton of distortion pedals available in the 80’s. Like others said, it is probably amp, guitar or production related.

Can you post a clip of what your talking about specifically?

Last edited:

Aceman893

I'd go about that sound using a really short delay mixed just-so regarding the level. Short delay + long delay is a well known LA Studio deal in the 80's. Short delay gives the tone, and long delay the delay or reverb or depth to the sound.

I play in an 80's hair tribute band...I use a Mesa Stiletto, but my pedal choice there would be a Suhr Riot. The distortion sound isn't such a big deal - but I program the crap out of the delays...

That said - I like the SD9 rec (but I freaking love the SD9Mod pedal period!) and I'll suggest a really deep rare pedal for 80's stuff like that: The Boss Digital Metalizer.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I’m pretty sure that hollow tone you’re after is due to effects and not the actual distortion. Reverb and delay were heavily used in the 80’s to make guitar solos and vocals sound “big”, although to me it just pushed them back in the mix.

mambomonkey

I'd go about that sound using a really short delay mixed just-so regarding the level. Short delay + long delay is a well known LA Studio deal in the 80's. Short delay gives the tone, and long delay the delay or reverb or depth to the sound.

Thanks for this. Can you be more specific about how to program this short delay for the tone? Thanks!

Aceman893

Thanks for this. Can you be more specific about how to program this short delay for the tone? Thanks!

Well - if you can program I can't give you an exact number. But, we are talking 100ms or less. The key is to bring the level up, to where it is heard. Not loud enough to be a "second" note, but louder than just a metallic timbre in the sound. You'll have to experiment to get that fundamental sound. (I agree with EMG assessment too)

If you have a Dual delay, or two delays, where the short delay goes first and then a much longer one - over say 400ms and blended to be a more atmosphere or light echo sound, there you go.

dirtytony

simple one: hot ceramic humbucker pickup... they have the push and usually lack the mids and give you that "hollow" you are referring to

Trending Topics