Hollow Body Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bobster, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Bobster

Bobster Member

Hi guys, i have a custom hollow bodied swamp ash les paul done up which needs to be finished. I want it to have a great resounding and warm tone like those of the ES335s & more specifically, the gibson lucille. My guitar is like the lucille, no f-holes, fitted with a non-locking vintage tremolo. As this would be the finishing touch and last final upgrade i'm doing to my guitar, i'd need some advice.

Firstly, any highly rated hollow body pickups to recommend me? I know that pickups have to sort of match the wood of the guitar. My guitar is a swamp ash hollow body with a mapled flame top, maple neck with pau ferro fretboard.

Although i'd want this to be warm sounding, i'd also want this to be versatile enough to play abit of rock.

Suggestions please!

Bob

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

simple answer: if you want the tone of the 335, get 57 classics. Im not sure if the Lucille sig model uses 57s or something else

3. Bobster

Bobster Member

Hmm, how bout seth lovers? The lucille uses the 490r and 490t.

4. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

im not familiar with seth lovers, but hes the guy who designed the PAF, so if theyre made for him, Id bet theyre quality. Its sucks trying to buy replacement pickups, theres always has to be a bit of a leap of faith

5. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

A 335 pup will deliver the sound of a different guitar on that guitar.
    2 singers step up to the same mic ...they`re gonna sound different right?
    the guitar is the singer ....the pickup is the mic .
    you, sir ,, unfortunately ,are gonna have to experiment .
    I`d favor a low output PAF style to bring out as much of the wood as possible if you`re looking for this guitar to cover the woody side of things .
    Lots here love the low output Lollar Imperial among others .
    I like the Duncan Antiquity more than the Lovers or 57`s ..more breathing going on .