Hollow Mamywo Tyler

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by spacebarmusic, May 10, 2008.

1. spacebarmusic

spacebarmusic Member

I just placed an order for one. What do you guys think of hollow Tyler's? If anybody has this combo (hollow mamywo) I'd love to hear what you think of it. I'm kinda into brown sound type sounds and Les Paul-ish stuff is what I'm hoping I can get out of this guitar.

2. zerolight

zerolight Member

The hollow kinda scoops the midrange out a bit, makes it more polite sounding. Get's a great clean strat sound. They sound great crunchy too, but it's a polar opposite to the Les Paul. In a Tyler, the closest to a Les Paul tone would be solid Mamywo or Mahogany.

Me, I prefer a more stratty sound... bit like Eddie's brown sound, and find that a solid Alder Tyler nails that. Mine should arrive in the next two or three weeks.

ps. if you haven't, I'd recommend you spec a midboost bypass button rather than a midboost preset button. The humbucker sounds best bypassed, when dirty. You may also want to spec solid hipshot saddles rather than the raw vintage ones if you like a thicker tone. Or a hard tail.

3. thenine

thenine Member

I agree. For a LP type tone, you want solid mamywo.

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

Will let you know in June when my hollow alder/braz BW SE is done. ;) Can't wait! I'm not looking for LP tones out of mine though, I'm looking for a nice modern strat/shred sound with some complexity & versatility in the strat realm -- to balance all the solid ash/maple strats and teles I have. (I have a Lester and a couple other Gibson-y guitars for the Gibson sounds, I gave up on "the strat that does it all" thing a long time ago, but that's just been my path, not anyone else's) I spec'ed mine with the mid-boost/bypass too. I like that config.

5. spacebarmusic

spacebarmusic Member

I got the bypass for sure and I also got the solid hipshot saddles too.
    now I just have to make up my mind for sure about this hollow thing or not??:crazy

6. zerolight

zerolight Member

From Tyler Guitars UK site (www.tylerguitars.co.uk click reviews), a reprint of a Guitarist UK Magazine review...

7. zerolight

zerolight Member

Solid Alder SE...

8. thenine

thenine Member

yeah! thanks for that!

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

i love Tylers, and I liked the one I had.
    BTW, James has a sense of humor. Mamywo is his made-up word for Poplar. That's no lie. Funny.

10. Kappy

Kappy Member

Did he coin that term (mamywo/malaysian mystery wood)? If so, cool. I like it. I thought it was another term for Jelutong, which seems more of a balsa than a poplar. Is that not so?

11. zerolight

zerolight Member

You are correct Dave, it is Jelutong not Poplar. Jelutong is kinda like a cross between basswood and mahogany, though Jim describes it as more mahogany.

12. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

When is the last day that Jim is accepting orders?

13. Droptop

14. zerolight

zerolight Member

He only ever said he was scaling back on dealer orders. Personal orders through his shop are still welcome.

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

I haven't heard of any official cutoff, but sometimes I miss out on those things. I'd ask them directly, they usually answer during business hours on weekdays.

Best,

Dave

16. Droptop

I have heard mixed stories. Some say he's retiring, some say the DeTemple Route.

17. brent

brent Member

He had to deal with some medical issues, when he comes back it will be direct order only, no dealers.

18. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

I don't think anyone but Jim knows exactly what will happening with orders in the future. For now, it is direct only while he recovers from the aformentioned health issues. This may change depending on how Jim feels in the future. For what it's worth, I saw him a couple days after surgery and he looked amazing, the guy is resilient and is recovering faster than anyone could have anticipated.

19. zerolight

zerolight Member

Well, Jim himself posted on HRI a while back to clear up these rumors.

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=436074&highlight=#436074