Hollow PRS vs 335/339

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KSKONDOR, Feb 14, 2012.

1. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

Hey Friends,
    Just wondering if people have compared the two directly, what you went with, and why. I am guessing its similar to comparing a non hollowbody by the same manufactureres but haven't had the opportunity to play the hollow body prs. Also...how does it do feedback wise?
    Thanks. Matt

2. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    The PRS hollowbodies are solid woods (carved tops and one-piece carved back/side piece - they used to have a maple carved top/back model w/just Hog sides too), not laminate for one thing, more like a Gibson CS336 in that regard rather than the plywood Gibsons you reference - they also are completely hollow with no block running down the center like the Gibson's and have one connecting "pillar" coming up from the back for the bridge to attach to like a violin construction. They had the standard PRS wide-fat neck and also used to only have one Vol and one Tone control (that may have changed, haven't looked at them in a long while) so you can not dial in the in-between tones in the middle position with the separate pickup vol pots that the Gibson's have - that lack of tone access was the major reason I passed along the hollow McCarty II I had a few years back and got a Gibson CS336. I find the CS336 more like a chambered Les Paul for tone. While I had the hollow PRS I did not ever have issues with feedback on stage, which was mostly med sized clubs. The Gibson 335 generally has more mid-range in it's tone signature than the CS336 or a PRS hollowbody. The 339 being smaller in body, but the same kind of plywood construction, is said to be closer to the 335 but not quite - the ones I played had a more even across the board tone than the sometimes more "honky" mid presence 335, actually closer to the hollow 336 than the 335, at least to my ears. really try to find some to play and compare yourself.

3. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Three very different guitars IMHO

Excellent examples of each can be found.

The 339 and 335 are closer to each other than the PRS is to the Gibsons.

My recommendation to get one of each.

:D

4. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

Last year, I went through the process of trying to find a good, small semi-hollow. The PRS and 339 made it to the top of the list. I found the combination of '57 Classics and laminated wood in the 339 to make for a very warm and smooth-sounding guitar. I never could find a good deal on one though, but I did find a good deal on a PRS HBII, so I bought that one. The PRS, in my opinion, seems brighter than the 339, perhaps due to the use of solid woods instead of laminated maple. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

5. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

My search for a good 335 guitar ended up with a PRS HBII suiting me better. I find the 335 closer to a solid body, but with a different sonic stamp on it due to construction. The HB has a big booming bass, lots of high sparkle, as well as many interesting acoustic resonances. At full volume at comes very alive and feels awesome.