Hollow, woody Strat tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb1911, Mar 28, 2008.

1. jb1911

jb1911 Member

How do you guys get this tone from a Strat? That hollow sound like what John Mayer sounds like. Is it an eq trick, or is it the pickups used? Help a guy out.

2. madscientist

madscientist Member

Low output pups (single coil), mild touch sensitive OD (eternity, TS, etc), and a good feel on the guitar. I'd like to think a fender type amp helps too.

But now that I looked, you have all that...

I don't know

3. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I can get really close with a clean amp, a Katana,and a Keeley BD2 with the gain set low and a little delay or reverb added. I have an EL 84 tubed amp so I just dial the mids back, but you should be good with your Deluxe Reverb. I can cop this with either of my Strats and one has 57/62 pickups, the other CS Strat has SCN's. Hope that is of some help to you, the rest of it is in the touch.
    Best Regards!

4. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I was wondering about those SCNs. Both my Strats have 57/62s in them. Do you lose the highs with the noiseless pu's?

5. funkycam

funkycam Member

good strat into a good fender style amp.
    Is your deluxe a reissue? if so, that tone is not in there imo.

I think this guy is a gear page guy... strat straight into a super. Killer tone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpycdP3ijgk

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

That video is exactly the tone I'm looking for.

My Deluxe Reverb is a 1967 with RCA blackplate 6v6s, Mullard and RCA 7025 preamp tubes. It has a Celestion Gold speaker, so the amp is not the problem. The Strat is an AVRI '62 with the stock 57/62 pickups.

7. Andre357

Andre357 Member

A light resonant strat helps -

I have an eternity burst overdrive on my board - IMHO - it's the woodiest sounding OD I've ever used ( even compared to the stock regular eternity - I own both )....My strat into it ( cs with SCN's like the previous poster interestingly enough, it's a Custom Pro ) gets some nice woody tones in the neck and quack positions..........

The woodiest tones i get actually are with my CS tele actually - it has a twisted tele in the neck - woodiest pickup I've ever used or heard ( sorry that doesn't help you and is off topic ).

8. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...I think having lower, vintage-style frets instead of tall, modern frets helps...

...this is what Stefan Dapergolas did when he built my Aged Vintage Classic...

9. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I get a real decent woody tone with my ad strat into a Twin amp. I've got Lace Hot Golds in the strat and they do a great job imo. I actually prefer these pickups to the cs '54s I had in the guitar for a long time. Adding light-ish od is icing on the cake.

10. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

No. This is a 7.2lb CS Strat Pro with a Rosewood board. It is wired with Greasbucket tone control, not S1, and gives me great woody tones. I can get all the highs with this that I get with my 57/62's, but they are way more versatile, because I can roll the tone back and get nice clear thick tones too. Just my absolute favorite Strat ever! For a modern Strat it gets really great tone.
    Best Regards!

11. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Good Super Reverb, turned way up, light touch.

CT.

12. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

well... thats me in the video.

There is no real trick involved. That clip is my guitar straight into my super reverb. What I think is the difficulty you are having is the guitar/pickup combination.

The guitar in that video is a early 70's strat that I stumbled upon in a music store. One of those "wasn't gonna buy anything" trips that ended in me selling 2 massively awesome amp halfstacks to raise the cash for...etc...

That strat had a very big woody midrange that most strats i've played never had...including a 62 reissue strat I had a long time ago.

Once I had the guitar down, I hunted down pickups and found the Van Zandts to be perfect.

See...I think the key to all this is first finding a guitar that has a body/neck that you can feel/hear sounding phenominal unplugged (this means woody but open sounding). then Finding low enough output pickups that can then simply amplify that woodyness without loosing anything in the translation.

I think too many strats (I'm thinking close to 90%) are amazing sounding guitars, but only sound good at lower volumes or without raw amp distortion. They lack in one frequency or another. the reason so many people lust after those early 60s strats is that they tend to have that thicker midrange wood sound built into the guitars somehow. A natural sound that is then amplified.

In the end, I'd highly recommend you take some serious time at a good music store and play DOZENS of strats. million dollar vintage down to $100 squires. The price means nothing, you just need to hear the sound for yourself.

No gadget or toy is going to give your guitar the sound you want if it doesn't have it naturally. that woodyness you seek is coming from the beginning of your signal chain:)

Good luck!

13. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

He is right! The tone needs be in the wood first! I spent a year before I found two Strats that I really liked. But you ( the OP)still may be able to get this sound out of yours, even with the 57/62 pickups.
    Best Regards!

14. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Awesome tone and video man!

:RoCkIn

15. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Van Zandt Blues pickups are the key for that tone. I get it dead on.

16. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

Wow-- that's amazing. Obviously the guy has the touch. :AOK

17. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Some of it is in the amp, but I think a lot of it is in his fingers. I doubt that it's the p/u's though, because I think the ones in his signature Strat are scooped, which wouldn't account for a hollow tone, necessarily.

18. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi a lot of tone in realy in your fingers I use high action and 0.10 strings with quite a relief on the neck, I have to work for mine tone but teh result is rewarding. If you want tone you can't be lazy you have to work for it, every strat, les paul has something build in it you only have to discover it.
    If you have the room to crack a tube amp you know what I am taking about, such a sound with low gain forget it can't happen.
    Peace Strat58

manishthapa likes this.
  19. manishthapa

manishthapa Member

H
    Hi Funkycam,in reference to the video you share, do you have an idea as to which era Pickups they are, 69’s , 57/62 or the Eric Johnson. Can any one enlighten on my query please.

20. Rusty Dutch

Rusty Dutch Supporting Member

Dude, 2008, that’s a way strong zombie.

[​IMG]

Ryno1331 and Jim Marciano like this.