Hollowbody Jones: Ibanez Artcore

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Bassomatic, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Been wanting a hollowbody lately, and checked out one of these Ibanez guys today. Hard to believe the quality level for less than $500. Set neck, fully bound, decent quality hardware, easy playing short scale. What's not to love? Think I'm going to pull the trigger.

http://www.ibanez.com/hollow/guitar.aspx?m=AGB200&i=179#detail

2. ghoti

ghoti Member

Play it at a store if you can. I've heard good and bad things about the Ibanez Artcore guitars. The bad mostly was from a jazz guitarist with a lot of hollowbodies who had higher expectations of the Artcore series and probably was "disappointed" that something that looked as nice as they did wasn't more to his liking.

The first bass guitar I ever played was a short-scale hollow-body violin-bass copy and it didn't sound that great to me. I've never been able to make either hollow-bodies, acoustics, or short-scales sound or feel good to me...there are people out there who can do it but either they or their equipment seem to be very rare. On an acoustic I seem to want it to sound like an upright would and it never does...the only acoustic bass guitarist I've really enjoyed the sound of is the guy from Violent Femmes (just an awesome bassist no matter what he plays) and I've never heard a jazz-box-style bassist really play, so it's a crapshoot for you I guess...

3. Bassomatic

Not a crap shoot as I checked the bass out today. As far as hollowbody guys who "really play", consider McCartney, Robbie Shakespeare, Phil Lesh, Jack Casady, etc.

I used to have a Hofner beatle bass anniversary edition that sounded and played great. The hollowbody bass thing isn't for everyone, but works very well in certain settings.

4. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I have one of the Artcore hollowbody basses for home recording and for quick gigging. It's a really nice player with a big sound. Not too versatile in tones, but it's a keeper.

5. Bassomatic

is it the 34" version with the MM style hum, or newer short scale with 2 hums?

6. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Full scale model with the Music Man style. That single pickup is pretty limited; but it's a good stand alone bass.

7. Bassomatic

Brought the bass home yesterday. I was a tad disappointed with the feel after getting it up to pitch - it was tuned about a whole step flat at store. I believe this will be rectified when I put some Thomastik-Infeld flats on it, as they are such low tension strings. I'll need to adjust the setup a tad. Bottom end is adequate, and more than adequate - downright obese - when used in conjunction with a SansAmp Bass DI pedal. I'll try to post some clips later. Tone knob taper sucks. Damn near useless. Volume pot has a lot of effect on tone, how hard one is hitting the amp a la guitar. I believe the pickups are pretty damned high output.

A blast to play, and the short scale lends itself to a different , more chordal and fingerpicky style of bass work. Hard to describe, but its just differently conducive.

8. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that tone pot! It's ....subtle.

9. Bassomatic

Well, I've had the Ibanez out to both rehearsal and a recording session, and it performed very well in both situations. I also used my Sans Amp Bass Driver for both, which adds a huge amount of bottom. Pick tones are terrific - I'm having to dust off my old pick chops a bit.

Overall a real winner. More pronounced lower mids than a long sacle solid or hollow, but that's part of the charm. Not the most flexible bass, but it does a few things very well (and is a real blast to play - practically plays itself).