Hollowbody with Bigsby

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Telecaster, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Hello !

I'm looking for a hollowbody with Bigsby. I don't want regular humbuckers but filtertrons would be fine. P90's or deArmonds are an option as well. What guitar do you recommend ? The Setzer HotRod seems very nice (I like the fact that it doesn't have too many controls).

Cheers,

Roel

2. monacosis

monacosis Member

3. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I've played the Monaco with Bigsby. Great guitar but I prefer a bigger body (more like a 6120 or 175):cool:

4. gtrplayer23

gtrplayer23 Member

get a gretsch country gentlemen

5. morgan

morgan Guest

I was out at GC a few weeks ago comparing hollowbodys. I played several grestches, including the setzer, the electromatic, and a country gentleman. I was surprised to find I liked the electromatic hollow the best. The all felt and played great, but it was the tone that got me stuck on the electromatic. It was a bit zippier, a tad more aggressive than the others, snappier might be the word for it. It just seemed more alive. I came away feeling that when I'm ready to buy, it'd be one of those, especially given the cost difference.

6. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

That's interesting. What pickups were in the Electromatic ?

7. morgan

morgan Guest

According to the gretsch site: 2 US DeArmond 2000 Single-Coil Pickups. But they sounded very filtertron to me, just a bit hotter perhaps. Here's the gretsch page for em. I didn't expect to like the electromatic so much, but overall it's a great guitar.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G5126&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1

8. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Thanks for the info. I'll check some out here in Holland. They're only € 850 here.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Those Electromatic hollowbodies come in two flavors. The first batch have a fixed tuneOmatic bridge & B7 style Bigsby with a tension bar. The newer ones have a floating bridge and a B6 style Bigsby without the tension bar. The new ones are closer in design to the pro series Gretsches but you might get one of the old ones cheaper.

Another cosmetic change; the old ones all have black backs/sides, but the new sparkle tops have walnut stained back/sides.

I prefer these guitars to the Epiphone & DeArmond hollowbodies and the US made single coil pickups sound very good. Another difference between the 2 models- the new has a RW/RP pickup, so the middle position is humbucking.

Everybody prefers the new ones except me. I tried lots of them and found the tuning to be more stable on the old model. I also prefered the tone of the old one. More bass & mids with a fixed bridge. The neck is set higher on the new one (so they could eliminate the tension bar from the bigsby) and the pickups sit much farther from the top.

Really cool guitars. Make sure to try them both if possible.

10. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Highly recommended:

[​IMG]

Guild Starfire III. I have one with Seymour Duncan Antiquity P90s (Starfire III-90) and it smokes!!! NICE comfy '59 style rounded neck.

They run about $1600-1700 new and $1100 used.
    I believe it's the greatest value for money USA-made Bigsby-equipped archtop!

Here's me with mine
    [​IMG]

11. morgan

morgan Guest

Good distinction. I played one of the newer models.

12. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

At the risk of raising the Atom-haters again, have you thought about an Atom with M pickups?

[​IMG]

13. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

I like your's better.

14. conrad

conrad Member

I love mine : Hamer Newport korina with SD phatcats (p90's in Humbucker size). Sometimes they pop up used in the 900-1200 $ range. Even affordable if you are in Holland.
    [​IMG]

15. empty71

empty71 Member

16. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Lots of great suggestions here, though lots of them aren't hollowbodies.

If a fully hollow thinline suits you, it's very difficult to find a better guitar than a Guild Starfire III for anywhere close to $1000. The hardware, fit, and finish is far superior to the Gretsch and DeArmond Korean stuff, though they're quite good for what they are.

17. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Lots? Can't speak for the Reverend, but the Atom can be ordered hollow (it just doesn't have F holes).

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Here's a real "sleeper" option: a Hagstrom. For example, here's my '67 Viking I. The stock single coil PUPs are remarkably DeArmond-like (the vintage DeArmonds, not the hot newer 2000 model). You have to be tolerant of thin necks, though.

P.S. This is a true hollowbody.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

The Reverends and Hamers are semi-hollowbodies, which is what the Anderson seems to be, too.

20. teleboy54

teleboy54 Member

I've had a couple Hollows with Bigsbys. Epi Sorrento If you like slim necks and thinline bodys, these are great guitars. I had Antiquity P90's on it and the tone never failed to turn heads. Also had a Tennesee Rose. I now have the Gretch Electromatic (old model) with the fixed bridge. I tried both and still prefer the old over the new floating bridge. I actually sold the Rose because to me the Electro sounded more Gretsch like to my ears and played much better.