• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Hologram Electronics Microcosm

SymptomFinger

Yes. I use it with synths and also have the midi parameters mapped to my keyboard, as well as sending PC messages from a Morningstar MC6. I was having an issue where the 4 lights would start blinking red after I was playing for a while. I contacted Hologram about it and they let me know that they have an issue where certain midi controllers were sending messages that the box was interpreting as an incomplete sysex message, causing the issue. They told me that they were working on a firmware update that would rectify that issue.

I took that opportunity to ask if there were any other firmware updates coming, as the granular aspects of the pedal are pretty much useless with synth sounds that have any sort of release time. Here's what they wrote back:

"We are hoping to release a firmware update sometime in August, but we do not have a new version available at this time.

Regarding Microcosm tracking, the new firmware is primarily focused around tweaking the triggering method. These changes will make the pedal generally more responsive to signals like synths or fuzz, etc. "
Oh man, the flashing orange LEDs at boot were driving me crazy. I just started setting up midi for the first time ever, and I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I eventually isolated it to the Big Sky and Timeline sending a signal when my board first boots up, and removing both of them from the midi chain fixed it, but I couldn't figure out what signal they were sending or why... I guess it ultimately is the Microcosm. I hope the firmware update fixes it.

High Pedality

Okay, so I'm freaking in love with this thing.

The ambient stuff is cool and everything but this is major rhythmic tool for some tight, picky, mathy, Battles-action.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get different algorithms tightly in time for looping. Ya know, like start off with a 1/4 note Sequence, record it and then a 1/16th note Arp but in the exact same time so everything is hitting on the downbeat.

That's what Quantize is supposed to do, no? If so, I can't seem to get other algorithms to sync but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any advice for synced rhythmic looping using different algorithms would be great!

Phenomenal release. I'm blown away.

Okay, so I'm freaking in love with this thing.

The ambient stuff is cool and everything but this is major rhythmic tool for some tight, picky, mathy, Battles-action.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to get different algorithms tightly in time for looping. Ya know, like start off with a 1/4 note Sequence, record it and then a 1/16th note Arp but in the exact same time so everything is hitting on the downbeat.

That's what Quantize is supposed to do, no? If so, I can't seem to get other algorithms to sync but maybe I'm doing it wrong. Any advice for synced rhythmic looping using different algorithms would be great!

Phenomenal release. I'm blown away.
You had me at Battles. I’m gonna explore this one too - so far I’ve only been coming to grips with the ambient possibilities, with tight rhythmic loops the next experiment on the agenda. Would love to hear if anyone has managed that so far - the closest I’ve heard demo-wise is the Spiralcaster video on YouTube.

eligit

I'm unclear how perfectly in time this thing is designed to be TBH.
Seems more like a color box than a tightly controllable thing.
BUT the "sequencer" part seems like the most likely to be controllable in that way since the beat is so clearly stated in the algo.

impaaaaact

We’ve got the firmware update!!

here’s the link to the update:

Early report but... holy **** they fixed it all in one go. Every issue I had is now gone. The volume issue, the tracking issues, the midi issues... gone. Poof. Now is the time - -get your hands on one

guitarman92

Early report but... holy **** they fixed it all in one go. Every issue I had is now gone. The volume issue, the tracking issues, the midi issues... gone. Poof. Now is the time - -get your hands on one
That’s awesome! I can’t wait to try it out later

Really it was so bad? Man, mine came a couple of days ago with 1.1 preinstalled and I’m really enjoying this, with no knowledge of the “bad old days”.

impaaaaact

Really it was so bad? Man, mine came a couple of days ago with 1.1 preinstalled and I’m really enjoying this, with no knowledge of the “bad old days”.
for me, the sound drop off at full wet and poor tracking with synths made it borderline unusable on the granular side - I kept it around though because thelooper was so good (and they had let me know they were working on those aspects). The only way for me to use it was to plan a sound around it, rather than being able to use it in pre-existing conditions. This is the pedal I was expecting to receive out of the box and I couldn’t be happier

Crazyquilt

Guitar Dad
Gold Supporting Member
This is great news. I’d gotten frustrated because it didn’t play well with droney stuff. I know what I’m doin’ tonight!

Bugeater

Update went very smoothly with an M-Audio Uno.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but all my Global Configurations were reset during the update, so make sure to check those after you're done.

Bugeater

Anymore thoughts on the firmware update? Sold mine awhile back and now reconsidering...
The most immediately noticeable thing is how much better the tracking and reactivity is.

I didn't mind it before and adapted my playing habits to it, but it's WAY better now.

The added output gain in the effects section is my favorite improvement. That was something I couldn't easily work around before.

eligit

The most immediately noticeable thing is how much better the tracking and reactivity is.

I didn't mind it before and adapted my playing habits to it, but it's WAY better now.

The added output gain in the effects section is my favorite improvement. That was something I couldn't easily work around before.
Agree.

it definitely reacts more smoothly and switching between settings is smoother as well.

Crazyquilt

Guitar Dad
Gold Supporting Member
It took me another day to actually to the update, but I am so very glad I did. A pedal that I had written off as a major disappointment is suddenly resurrected. Between this and the 2.1 patch for blooper, it's been a busy day for upgrading pedals, and I was extremely grateful everything went off without a hitch.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, the new firmware is way better for use with things like fuzz & synths.

Trending Topics