HOLY 1000 USD KLON on EVILBAY

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Mar 8, 2006.

1. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I think I'd get a tattoo artist to just engrave one for me on the 300 dollar Klon if it mattered that much to have a centaur on the front.

you could get a stage hog and cornish stuff or 3.5 BJF's for that or a couple of klons to cascade :D

no for me, but then, my amp was only 900 bucks.

2. Electric I

Electric I Member

In the description it states:

"This translation is provided as a service.ebay cannot guarantee it's accuracy."

Talk about lost in translation.

3. nek

nek Member

Hope springs eternal...

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

One sold for just over 800... but didn't it have the same images? This one could be a scam. Further, how is he selling it as NEW at that price?

5. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Anyone stupid enough to buy one of them at that price simply deserves it....
    That is just laughable...
    I bought mine for $250 and didn't think it was worth 1/2 that...
    By the way...I have some heavy Fender picks...Only $195.00 each:D
    Steve

6. Madsman

Madsman Member

Steve: you get a chance to play a Klon on the Deliverance? It is SICK.

I think the pedal is worth what it sells for NEW. I don't think any OD is worth $1000... but yadda yadda what the market will bear blah blah.

7. bvmjethead

bvmjethead Member

eBay truly is evil.

People's greed and lust for material things is way inflating the market.

Remember we are talking about things that nobody really NEEDS. 99.9% of what is sold on eBay is not necessary to maintain life.

eBay is driven by greed and pride two things we have an abundance of here in America.

$1K for a stompbox is ridiculous I don't care who you are.

8. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

the guy with the multi $3000+ amp stacks and Eventide is laughing at what a piece of gear costs? ; )
    It's for a collector at that price. Not a bar room player. Like all the $15000 plank teles or $120k Les Pauls. No way better than what you can get new, except it's not the one the collector wants. The buyer probably knows that new ones can be had for 325 or whatever, but wants one with the graphic and design of the first run. Was the strat with serial #1 the very best? Probably no better than a $1500 off the shelf model today. But tell that to the collector who bids on it when Gilmore lets his go.
    You might as well be criticizing coin collectors for paying $100 for a dime.
    Also, I wouldn't sell mine for twice what's it's going for on ebay. Goldish brown with the centaur on it. I love it.

9. Madsman

Madsman Member

Says the guy typing on an internet gear forum. Let's not get too comfortable casting aspersion. Pride isn't just for people with cash. It's also an issue for people who pretend to be above it all.

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I don't know about all that, I recycle stuff I don't need/want anymore by passing it to others in exchange for thier cash at a substantial bargain to them from the cost of new on Ebay it'd be substantially harder to get rid of it in an environmentally/economically sound way without the auction forum, of course 1K for a clean boost unless God himself blessed it and it eminates glory from it's output is insane. But then somebody payed 75K for a refinished 56 strat too so go figure I guess. Maybe in 10 years that centaur Klon will be worth 10 grand to some investor. I wish I'd found a dumble in the 80's. :D

11. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Well, I'm also a smart buyer, and I'm sure one day I will come across another Klon for $150-$250 and buy it for the resale value...
    I have 5 vintage/brand new in the box TS808's...I also only paid a max of $75 each..
    And my $3000 heads cost me about half of retail. And I got both my Eventides for $400 and $450...
    I actually just spent the most money ever on a single piece of my gear.. I just spent $3K on a 2006 Class 5 Quilt LP. And I didn't want to, but I wanted the guitar. I can flip it on Ebay tomorrow for at least $3600 since they go for more than that new at any dealer...
    I just think there is more BS involved with that pedal than anything else. It really doesn't sound good to me unless your into that old fart gain...:D
    I'll take an MI Audio Blue Boy or Crunch Box over 10 Klons if I had to pick one for personal use...I simply think they sound like ass cheeze...IMHO
    Steve

12. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

You know it truly is a shame that great gear becomes collectable and is then purchased by collecters, not players. My neighbor has some cool vintage fenders, magnatones, gibson amps, and a beat 64' strat. All of these things are played regularly because that is what they are ment for. he doesn't keep them in display cases with temerature controls and baromiters. We did a gig at a local VFW and he brought two of his vintage fender amps and the strat. That's the way it should be.

Scott:dude

13. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Why doesn't Klon make the Centaur with the logo anymore if that's the big coveted difference between the new ones and old ones?

:confused:

14. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

I have one of the old "gold" Klons with the Centaur.

It is a good pedal and represents the first of the "transparent" OD's, during an age where distortion pedals were King.

In the modern world, Lovepedal, Barber, and Hermida blow the Klon away.

Give me a break - a silver Klon with a Centaur engraved on it - WOW - it's like finding out your girlfriend has a dick -

15. Madsman

Madsman Member

I don't see the Klon as being an "Old Fart sounding OD." I use it with a metal band and a spacey rock band, and it's on my board because it tightens up the gain on my VHT in a really unique and musical way. If you can't find a way to use a pedal, that's cool, but it doesn't mean that no one can/should, or that there's "BS" involved with the pedal. Have you opened up a Klon and your MI stuff? There's a lot more going on in the Klon. I was blown away at how simple the Crunchbox is inside today. I LOVE MIAudio's stuff... I don't need to rate "unlike pedals" against each other. I don't think the "new" price for a Klon is unreasonable... I think they're market appropriate. The USED price is getting crazy, like the Way Huge stuff... but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the pedals. Just means they may not be worth your cash.

Anyone who collects pedals and doesn't use them is IMO missing the point. I can see guitars being an investment (considering the way the 59' flametop appreciated even during my short guitar playing career. If I could have bought one for $50,000 in high school and sold it for $300,000 last year, imaging how the guys who bought them for $1,000 and sold them for $5,000 feel now!)

16. dm4501

dm4501 Member

My Klon looks just like the one on ebay, except it's been on my pedal board for 10 years or so. I've tried to replace it with other od's, but it hasn't been replaced yet. I do like some other pedals, but the Klon has a certain juicey fatness that is unique. If I wait another ten years, I'll be able to sell it and retire in luxury. Yeah, that's the ticket.

17. bvmjethead

bvmjethead Member

I'm not pretending, I AM above it all.

:D