Holy **** ! $1500 for CLONED PAF's!?

OldSchool

I must be out of the PAF loop. So many great PAF clones out there. Sheptone, WCR, Bare Knuckle just to name a few. Then you have your Cork Sniffer , Rolph, and what I thought was the pinnicle of PAFland clones.....Holmes. I've been on a waiting list for several months now for a set and at a price of $550 , quite expensive. Especially considering you can get a fine used set of any of the others above for around $200.

I was just over at a LP forum because I am in the market for a set of PAF's for an incoming R8. I'm growing inpatient waiting for Holmes to call me. And I see these ...........OTPG sets going for $1500!!!? Never heard of them. Are they cured with jimmy Pages nut sweat or something?

Give me the skinny on these as I'm obviously out of the loop and quite uninformed. :Spank

re-animator

$1500 for magnets and wire is kind of outrageous. its not like a guitar where there are infinite variables. With pickups you have the number of windings and the type/strength of the magnets. maybe wax potting, which is essentially binary rather than qualitatively different from builder to builder. that's pretty much it. there is no magic in pickups.

heffernoise

yikes.. i guess some people are still convinced that the more money something costs the better it is?.. gimme some cheap pickups and a broken guitar and ill find a way to make some noise.

GA20T

I don't know what PAF means, but I'm willing to bet that they sound fantastic through an R6, a Klown, and one of those Dubbles everyone's always going on about!

USD 1500 c'mon....

Dont get me wrong I appreciate a good pickup as much as the next man.

oh and by the way it is more than magnet ----> wire ----> wax ----> pickup

there is wire tention, scatterwinding pattern, size and strength of magnet... a million other factors but 1.5k!!!!

I'd want it wound infront of me by nubile 22yo naked Cuban virgins massaging each other with hot oils at the same time!!!!

snouter

The pickups are really called OVER THE POND? HAHAHA! Cute.

IDEA FOR PICKUP COMPANY NAME: THE WEST IS THE BEST. TWITB?

dudelove

Over the pond GUY to be precise. I remember he has ridiculously expensive M69 pickup rings as well!

This is ridiculous. The $99 Seymour Duncan SH-55 Seth Lovers were designed by Seth Lover
the guy who invented the humbucker and the PAF one at that, i'm pretty sure he remembers his own invention.

Ironically he didn't feel the need to charge more than $99 for his own invention.

Best regards -T

OldSchool

So I guess its a LP fourum thing? :nuts

I wanted to try a set of Covered PRS 59's in a bad way. Still do. But not at $500+ a set. I'd go $350. I was willing to get a New set of Holmes , but I'm growing tired and I refuse to pay more then the asking price of new ones . I guess its all relative, what you are willing to pay.

I may be closing in on a nice used set of Sheptones for $200. Spend the rest of the $$$ on a Tone Pros bridge and stop tail piece and a pro installation and set up. If I can't make that sound good I have no reason playing in the first place.
~
~

blueman61

In the mid-19th century there was a run on tulip bulb prices in Holland. Apparently before things returned to normal the price of a single bulb rose as high as (the equivalent of) $2000.00. That's 2k in 19th century dollars. The "Emperor's New Clothes" is a timeless story for a reason. I believe this is referred to as "the hysteria of the masses".

Trending Topics