Holy crap!! Divided by 13 and Gibby R9 Authentic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

This weekend has brought about one of the most amazing tonal experiences of my entire music playing life. I spent more hours playing yesterday and this morning than I’ve played in the last month all total and I’m not done yet today! I just had to take a moment to share the love.

I finally scored a Gibson Custom Shop Authentic R9 flame top. The guitar came with the original Burstbucker’s packaged separately and is now loaded with Wagner WCR pickups. The pickups are a Darkburst bridge and Goodwood neck. I really didn’t expect to love the Darkburst as I’m generally a low output pickup player and these are a “little” hotter than I would normally go for. I played the R9 Friday through my Fuchs TDS100 and was floor by how good it sounded. I played it through my Two Rock Emerald Pro and was equally blown away. But come Saturday I finally had a chance to plug into my Divided by 13 RSA23. I hadn’t planned on doing that because I’d planned on selling the RSA to help recover from the substantial investment in the R9 and I knew playing it would only make the decision to sell that much more painful since I have been absolutely in love with that amp. I simply thought it would be the easiest and quickest sale.

I decided yesterday morning that it would be a real travesty not to have at least heard the R9 through the RSA23 before it went up for sale. It was at that point that I had an epiphany. When I rolled the guitar volume knob open on this rig I heard things that made my hair stand on end. Things I had never heard before from any rig I’ve ever own. At least not to the extent I was hearing them now. Today I am setting here for the first time ever feeling like if I had to sell everything else I owned and have nothing but one guitar, one amp and one cab, this combo would keep me happy indefinitely.

I am truly in shock over the things I was able to cokes out of the R9 / RSA23 combination. With the RSA volume at around 9:00, far left click position and the volume rolled back on the Lester it is Angus Young dead to right. Rolling the guitar volume open at the same amp setting gets some really killer Gibbons to Zepplin. Flip to the Goodwood in the neck and roll back on the guitar volume and “Blues for Greeny” comes flowing out. Blend the Darkburst and Goodwood with about 6 or 7 on the guitar volume on both and hear all the Gary Moore tones you ever wanted. None of this was really shocking beyond the fact that it wasn’t just doing these tones, it was doing these tones better than I’d ever heard in my life.

But the point where I became truly shocked was when I rolled the RSA’s volume open to between 11:30 and 12:00, second from left click position and guitar volume rolled open in the full bridge Darkburst position. The first thing I did was hit a first position power chord in A and my jaw dropped. What I heard was VanHalen!!! I immediately shifted gears into VanHalen mode and started throwing down every old VH1 and 2 chop I could remember and all I could do was laugh with giddy amazement. I’ve owned Mojave Peacemakers, vintage original Marshall SLP plexi panels, too many boutique versions to list and played every VanHalen style guitar made since the late 70’s and here I was playing a dual KT88 Divided by 13 and a 59’ Gibby and nailing the tone better than I had ever heard and doing it effortlessly at that.

What an amazing rig!! I am just giddy with excitement over what I am experiencing with the RSA / R9 combo. I never dreamed I could cokes so many and such a wide range of incredible tones out of such an extremely simple rig. OK.. I’ve got to get off here and get back to the tone or my dreams. Just couldn’t resist spreading the joy with my forum brothers. Have a great and tuneful day everyone. :BEER

Steve

2. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Here's the amp:
    [​IMG]
    and here's the axe:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Congratulations on the epiphany. Now, how about some clips, because we all want to coax as much cliappage as we can about the RSA23!

4. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I love stories like this!

Beautiful LP by the way!

Chris

5. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Fretmaster,

Glad the RSA is doing it for you. I would have kept it, but I need about 50-100 watts for the band. The RSA is a fat sounding amp, but with ALL the frequencies accounted for, and mucho punch and sustain. I'm thinking of getting the 50/100 head. What cab are you using? Fred told me that the 4x12 is his favorite with the RSA23. He likes Greenbacks and that's what he voiced it with. I used the Heritage Ms and Hs in a 4x12 that sounded stunning together.

6. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    So are you keeping the RSA 23 now?

Chuck

7. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Gil, I am playing the RSA through a Bruno 4x12 loaded with Celestion Alnico Blues and she sounds HUGE. Thanks a million for this killer amp!

Chuck, Abso-freakin-lutley!:D

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i'm glad you're keeping it buddy! let me know if you ever decide to sell it again, i may be in a better place to pick it up.

anwyays, i sent you a pm on the G12H.

thanks, jon

9. GUITARKELLY

GUITARKELLY Member

I guess your glad I didn't buy your the RSA 23 from you the other day. I'll have one some day soon.

Kelly,

10. King Ceramic

King Ceramic Guest

Just out of curiosity, you have a Goodwood in the neck, and a Darkburst in the bridge? Was that a typo, or is that what you really did? I know Jim sells a combo that is reverse from what you say....:dude
    Thanx!

11. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

What year is your R9? I have a similar combo (guitar + /13) and it really is great. When I get a chance to cool down and perform surgery on my R9 it will also get WCRs!

12. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

wow that's a purdy rig. and a very touching story. Is it sad that I love these player-meets-amazing-rig stories?

Guess I've been TGPized!!!!! :D

13. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

She's a fledgeling 2005 model even though looks like she's 47 years old!:) I just can't say enough how GOOD the WCR's sound in that guitar!:eek: It's truly indescribable.

14. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

No typo. That's how she's set up and it works PERFECTLY!! The Darkburst bridge is blowing me away.:dude The Goodwood neck is simply perfect to my ears also for what I do.:)

15. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Did you install them or was it like that when you got it? I am curious to hear about the difference.

16. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

:D :D

I think you are going to VERY happy.:dude

17. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

hey man, did you get my pm on the g12?

peace, jon

18. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Hey Jon, I thought I had replied already but I see you sent a PM since that one. Sorry bout that. I am replying now. ;)

19. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

20. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Yup......Rsa 23 with 2x12 with greenbacks and a historic brazilian R7 here. When it comes to classic rock......thats all you need! I do use my ftr 37 also because its more versatile.....works great with the strat and les paul......but for that classic rock sound-its the rsa and a les paul!