Holy Crap!! Great Headphones... Ultrasone

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by SBRocket, Dec 22, 2009.

1. SBRocket

SBRocket Gold Supporting Member

I must have owned 50 of pairs of headphones over the years, but I've never bought myself anything over $150 bucks because I always figured you can't mix on headphones so any pair should be fine for just checking stuff for ticks and pops.

Well with my 11r rig, I really wanted to be able to work on patches at home without cranking it up and I tried my Sony 7506's last week and they really had no bottom at all. In fact, it seemed like the bass knobs on the 11r models were disconnected. You could crank it to 11 or back to 1 and not hear any difference. I will say that that particular pair of phones have been used for click tracks with our drummer for the last 2 years and he listens to the clicks loud so they could just be fried.

I tried some new Sennheiser HD 280s and they felt great on but the bass is also too attenuated and undefined for me. They were better than the Sony's but still did not sound much like the mix rooms I am used to. So today I decided to actually shell out some serious money for a serious pair of headphones... the Ultrasone Pro 2500's. They're not cheap but there are much pricier ones out there too. B&H had them for $339.00.

These things are fantastic. I have been mixing my band's 3rd album for the last 2 months so I have heard these tracks 1000 times in the studio over the last 8 weeks and in 5 minutes with the headphones I am in love. They sound like the mix room. It's a revelation to see that these things exist... headphones that actually sound great.

So back to digital and modeling gear... I sat down with my 11r with the Ultrasones and they really blew me away for that purpose. All of my patches could be tweaked subtly and I could hear everything I was doing. And for once I really was able to hear the 11r sound the way I know it can without getting evicted.

Which brings me back to the main reason, (IMHO) that people end up not liking modeling gear. Amps never sound great at low volumes, they are not expected to so no one cares. You'll never hear someone selling their Divided by 13 because it sounds thin at low levels. It's an amp and it's expected to sound thin at low levels. With modeling gear, we all expect to be able to get great cranked tones at very low levels and the acoustics don't work that way. The same patch that may sound great on a stage through a PA can sound like poo through your studio speakers at low level. You need to push some air or guitars don't sound like guitars. But I still wanted to be able to work on the 11r patches at home which is where I usually go from when we gig, without hauling the 11r back and forth to the studio. So I tried the Ultrasones and finally I have the last piece of the puzzle. Now I really can get great cranked tones and clean tones and crunchy tones all in my apartment!

If you are trying to make the switch to modeling or just want to be able to really tweak your modeled patches, do yourself a favor and get a pair of these things. You will end up sleeping in them and you'll save a ton of money by not selling off the gear you just bought.

Steve

2. banjoze

banjoze Supporting Member

interesting post... I was complaining recently about the amount of "fizziness/trebly thinness" I hear in lots of my modeled sounds while listening to headphones that I do not hear in my $500 studio monitors.

Have you heard this as well in previous headphones? Did it go away in your nice new set?

-Gerald

3. SBRocket

Yes the fizziness is gone. Like you, I never get it in the studio monitors but I did in the other headphones. So I just decided not to tweak with headphones before trying the Ultrasones.

I think it's just overdriving the highs in search of some lows and with the tiny speakers struggling to deflect enough for the lows, which it cannot do, it can't work on the highs either. Funny thing is the fizz goes away a bit if you don't hit the input as hard. But when I checked my input meters I was nowhere near clipping. So I knew it was not clipping in the box

Also with the 11r, you can experiment with the true z input values to dial out any remaining fizz. But honestly with the Ultrasones, there is none of the uncontrolled fizz to dial out.

Steve

4. banjoze

banjoze Supporting Member

I'm using an AxeFx, but hoping the same is true for it. For that matter I hear the same low-quality sounds in our in-ear Aviom system as well.

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Ultrasones are nice cans

6. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

What model did you get?

7. SBRocket

Pro 2500 They are a semi-open design.

SB