• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Holy Crap!!! New Fender Pawn Shop Super Sonic

kombi1976

Cool series, but the only one that REALLY tempts me is the 70;s Pawnshop Strat. But at $800, there are a lot of other guitars that compete with it in the odd/rock guitar space.

I think the Charvel Skatecaster, and the ESP XJ series fill that same need for me, at a cheaper price.
I dunno. Both the Charvel & ESP lack the chintzy charm the Supersonic has. Given the choice I'd go the Fender. Where is it built again?

kombi1976

Wow, probably a great instrument then. My experience with any MIC Fender products (specifically Squier) has been mostly negative but anything US, MIJ or MIM been serviceable at the very least and really nice in most cases. My wife's '90 MIJ Strat and my brother's MIM '72 RI Tele Deluxe are great examples.

ThePeopleofColin

Runs with Scissors
Wow, probably a great instrument then. My experience with any MIC Fender products (specifically Squier) has been mostly negative but anything US, MIJ or MIM been serviceable at the very least and really nice in most cases. My wife's '90 MIJ Strat and my brother's MIM '72 RI Tele Deluxe are great examples.
The Squier Vista Series (which the Squier Super-Sonic was a part of) was MIJ.
It plays great...

Mookyshoots

Silver Supporting Member
I got mine over the weekend but I'm not thrilled with it. The bridge saddles are spaced too wide for the neck, so the low E starts normal at the nut and is nearly hanging off the board when it crosses the 22nd fret. I just foresee tuning issues plus it's visually annoying the crap out of me, so that would mean buying a narrow saddle replacement bridge for it. Also, with the short scale, reverse headstock and reverse angled pickups, why would they use what seem to be very bass-heavy humbuckers on this. It's just very boomy unless you lower the bass side quite a bit, so add the cost of new pickups too.

I'm really thinking of returning it at this point regardless of the price.

larimar

Unfortunately I have had so many bad Guitars from Fender I can hardly get excited by anything they do anymore. I imagine 3 and 4 piece bodies, Shoddy Neck work, Pot metal hardware, neck joints with 1/8th" gaps, Microphonic pickups, and the kind of Customer Service only a huge mega corporation could get away with. = Sorry if you all like it.

Bummer.... Just MIM or USA as well?

Starshine

I got mine over the weekend but I'm not thrilled with it. The bridge saddles are spaced too wide for the neck, so the low E starts normal at the nut and is nearly hanging off the board when it crosses the 22nd fret. I just foresee tuning issues plus it's visually annoying the crap out of me, so that would mean buying a narrow saddle replacement bridge for it. Also, with the short scale, reverse headstock and reverse angled pickups, why would they use what seem to be very bass-heavy humbuckers on this. It's just very boomy unless you lower the bass side quite a bit, so add the cost of new pickups too.

I'm really thinking of returning it at this point regardless of the price.
I just got my Super Sonic yesterday and it had the same issue with the low E string. However, it's not a saddle issue. The neck itself is a little crooked. I loosened the neck bolts, pulled the neck straight and then retightened. Took about a minute and solved the problem. It's still ridiculous to ship guitars with this issue though, especially when the fix is so simple.

I love the looks of this guitar, think it plays really nicely and is very comfortable, but I'm glad I only paid $350 for it instead of $800. The pickups do suck and need replacement. Aesthetically, the rosewood on mine is pretty rough with half the board being a significantly lighter color than the other half (I might have actually returned the guitar because of this if it wasn't a blowout clearance). And, of course, the crooked neck. If I'm going to pay $800 for a MIM guitar, I would expect it to be top quality, not have several major issues that need to be addressed before it becomes a real player.

Mookyshoots

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the info. I'll try adjusting tonight.

Yeah, the fretboard on mine was beyond dried out and is discolored around the nut. I oiled the board and that seemed to help. These are obviously factory seconds that they got a sweet deal on from Fender.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Now why'd Fender have to go and ruin a perfectly good Mustang bass with that stupid racing stripe? :bitch

In other news, I kinda like the Jaguarillo. :aok

SciFlyer

Gold Supporting Member
These are obviously factory seconds that they got a sweet deal on from Fender.
This may be, but the one I received is perfectly fine. Maybe I just got lucky. Perhaps they just weren't strong sellers and they wanted to move a bunch.

Mookyshoots

Silver Supporting Member
This may be, but the one I received is perfectly fine. Maybe I just got lucky. Perhaps they just weren't strong sellers and they wanted to move a bunch.
Also a possibility. I think it's a nice guitar other than the issues I've run into.

joy-z

Now why'd Fender have to go and ruin a perfectly good Mustang bass with that stupid racing stripe? :bitch

In other news, I kinda like the Jaguarillo. :aok
I have a Jaguarillo - great guitar. The Supersonic imho is fugly.

alvagoldbook

Nevermind, $799. Anyone know what the body wood is?
Yup. It's alder.

I'm a big fan of the Super-Sonics. When I was in my late teens/early 20's, I bought up all the old Squier Vista Series guitars, including 4 super-sonics, one in each color.

I have played many a guitar over the years, but those super-sonics are my favorite guitars ever built. These days, they're good solid guitars with some age on them. Replace the pickups and you're golden.

I haven't gotten a chance to play these newer ones, but I'm guessing they'll be crap.

Surfreak

Resurrecting this thread as the Super Sonic, especially the tangerine one, has been a sleeper in the used market , but is definitely awakening. These things now sell for $ 1,000, I own one in dead mint condition and it is not a bad guitar at all.

Looks cool in a punkish kind of way, it is very easy to play thanks to the short scale and sounds very aggressive but with good note definition.
Nobody liked them when they came out, but quite a few people are now regretting having sold theirs for cheap!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom