Holy Grails?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wleeds, Sep 1, 2005.

1. wleeds

wleeds Member

Hi,
    Anyone using Lace Holy Grails in a Strat?
    How do you like them?
    thanks,
    mark

2. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

I have a set in my Fender/Warmoth Strat. They sound okay, but I think they aren't quite right. I have Kinmans in my Teles and they sound great. So, I ordered a set of Kinman Woodstocks for the guitar. Three times the cost of the Laces, but this is my custom made dream guitar, so I am sparing no expense to get it right.

For the money, the Laces sound nice.

3. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Kinmans Kill Lace sensors. Well, only as far as tone is concerned.

4. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

They are my favorite noiseless strat pickup. They are fairly low output, more like 50s style strat pickups, not so much like a lot of the hotter vintage style pickups. I've owned Kinmans, Lawrence, Duncan & Dimarzio noiseless strat pickups and the grails sound the most realistic to me.

I think they get a great clangy Buddy Holly type sound, smooth Eric Johnson thing, lots of other great tones. Not so much the throatier, greasier SRV / Hendrix tone, but still great for those kind of songs.

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

You might want to wait for when Suhr releases his tremolo back plate for the aftermarket solution Silent Single Coil system. That way you can choose any stock strat pickup made by anyone like the Rolph, Lollar, DeTemple, Fralin, V60LP, or whatever. It just opens up your options.

6. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

I've been gigging with the Holy Grails for the last three months or so. There not a bad pickup at all. I have found the HG's be alot better then the original Lace Sensors. I will try others PUPs in the future without a doubt but these work for now quite admirably actually. I wanted a low noise pup and choose not to drop the coin for the Kinmans.

Definetly a low output pup and I agree with the other poster I don't hear much SRV tone, but that's a good thing for me!

How pickups end up sounding is so much influenced by the rest of the gear chain as well. Something to keep in mind.

YMMV,
    Jim

7. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

I have been fiddling around with the heights of the Grails. They are a low output when set to a sweet spot. I also found they sound much better when there is no tone control in the circuit. If I were to use these in another guitar, I would use no-load tone controls and some kind of signal boost and they would be very fine.

8. that_brianm_guy

that_brianm_guy Gold Supporting Member

I had a set, and eventually replaced them with Kinman AVN Blues.

I liked the Laces, but the output was just too low; I had to have the brown deluxe up full. The tone was pretty good, particularly the bridge pup, but the Kinmans are a cut above.

9. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

I have had a set for over a year and they have been in and out of several strats...they currently are in the box...they are truly silent and they do sound like Strat single coils, but, I always find them to be a bit sterile sounding and it always bugs me....