Holy Moly I have chops now!!!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jamminoutloud1, Aug 16, 2006.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

I was hanging out with my friend yesterday who I do gigs with all the time...he's a great guitar player. Well, I told him that I have no chops whatsoever, my technique is crappy, yada yada yada.
    Well, we talked about it for a while...and then casually he asked me how I hold my pick.
    I showed him(with the pointy part of the pick hitting the string)...and that's when it all happened...
    He said "How can you hold your pick like that!? I hate that!!!!"...I said, that's the only way I know!
    He showed me the way he does it...(puts one of the side corners of the pick out and hits the string with that side)...
    I said "That looks so uncomfortable!"...he told me to just try it out for the night, and then to tell him today how much faster and fluid my lines will sound...I walked away thinking to myself how am I going to tell him how his technique is no better than mine and this is a stupid idea...
    well, gee do I feel dumb...he was daaaamn right...I felt like I could play anything at any tempo...I felt flawless...
    Let me ask you guys, is this a common way to hold a pick or some sort of ancient chinese secret...or have I just been out of the loop or maybe I just never borthered to ask...please fill me in...
    Thanks!!!

2. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

you got me wondering about that? Could you try and explain better how he wants you to hold it? I think I have always held the pick the wrong way as well, and need the help.

3. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    the side of the point of the pick hits diagonnally across the strings
    Much smoother , less jagged attack which allows for serious speed picking

I wound up doing it on accident and I actually noticed it one day.

Big time light bulb, no doubt

4. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

If you're a right handed player, take the guitar pick and, instead of holding it with the point down, hold it with the point pointing horizontally to the right. Now the pick is basically in line with your thumb, and the corner is exposed below your thumb pad. Exposing only a small amoun of the corner below your can also make a difference.

It takes away some of the attack, but it makes picking way smoother and evens out the picking volume as well.

5. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I don't understand the orientations when talking about this. Anyone care to post a pic?

6. gennation

gennation Member

I've always found that awkward. Plus, you lose volume (I play acoustic a lot).

Sure you can brush the string but, to dig in with some attack I thing it lacks clarity.

But it does give you smoothed out flatter tone.

7. Brick

Brick Member

I've always played that way...could never play the pointy.

However, I still have no chops. :D

รท

8. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

I've been using the shoulder of my pick for a few years now. It helped soften my attack but hasn't done a thing for my chops either!

9. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I use the pointy end, but i have it "slice" diagonally with the sides of the point rather than it hitting flat on

10. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

Eric Johnson files down the point on his dunlop jazz 3 picks. Boy can he pick fast. Try the dunlop tortex m1 picks.

11. sage97

sage97 Member

Still cant understand any of the suggestions above. My understanding so far is that you can pick faster because you hold the pick a different way?

12. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

A smooth edge vs a pointed one. The smooth edge brushes across the string easier.

13. what?

what? Member

SRV and robben ford picks like that, I also just recently found it to be very comfortable when playing leads, as for acoustic I also found it to be uncomfortable, before I found this technique I always prefer old worn picks with worn edge i.e. less pointy..with acoustic I like thinner and pointy-er picks

14. gennation

gennation Member

What's the method the taught at GIT in the 80's? Something about pointing the pick more upward, like semi-towards the cieling?

I think if you watch 10 different guitarist, you are going to see 10 different picking styles. From Page, Beck, Morse, Van Halen, Malmsteen, Vignola, Mclaughlin, Dimeola, Bruno, Pass, you'll find that none of those greats uses the same technique.

If you find something that works...mature it.

15. Sugar Lime Blue

Sugar Lime Blue Member

16. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think he does. I read that he uses Jazz II's which are basically Jazz III's with a more rounded point. The II's are harder to find.

17. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

You can add Scott Henderson to that list. Your pick won't get caught up as easily as it will with the pointy edge, but anyone planning on being a speed picker like Petrucci will need to use the pointy end.

I think the original poster is confusing everyone by making sound as if his grip has changed. I assume he only rotated the pick using the same grip?

18. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

Yeah I did just rotate the pick to the side...I find that my picking is much more fluid...with the pointy end I would always sound a bit sloppy.

19. sage97

sage97 Member

Much clearer.

Will try it when I get home later.

Thank you.

20. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane Silver Supporting Member

It helps me to pull down-stroke, thumb pinched harmonics from a lot of places on the fretboard.

I do tend to spin my pick from time to time alternating between the rounded edge and the point depending on what song I'm playing.