Holy Stain - $80.00 of fun - thanks GC!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mprvise, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mprvise

mprvise Member

Had a little time to kill on Saturday and decided (against my better judgement) to check out the GC sale. Totally missed the PRS SE Soapbar, but did pick up an EH Holy Stain for $80.00. What a fun little pedal! Nothing spectacular, just pitch shifting with great tracking (chords even!) and some decent reverbs and trem. Lots going on for the price. Had major fun with it last night. It may even see some gig duty in the future. Thanks GC! :banana

2. crosse79

crosse79 Member

And who says you can get good deals from GC :D

3. Trego

Trego Member

That is a very neat pedal...I don't know how practical it would be for live use, but it definitely does some neat things.

I did, however pick up a PRS SE Soapbar II...still trying to see if I am going to bond with it or not...

time will tell.

4. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I got my Boss TU-2 from GC for $40 on layaway. Definitely the best deal I've gotten from GC since my DL-4 for $180.

5. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

i really liked it for its hall reverb and exp pedal controlled tremolo but i found the box to be too noisy to keep in my chain... and im sorry but the OD and fuzz are just worthless

still tho, even at the regular price its a great deal for a pretty versatile unit.

6. mprvise

mprvise Member

Totally agree, which is why I didn't even mention them. The fuzz is particularly horrid.

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

it really is. but, when set on clean it really does do some nice reverb and tremolo. definitely a good buy for the $$

8. Bluesdude6

Bluesdude6 Member

This pedal is the best natural sounding Reverb I've ever heard. I'm a blues guitar player, been playing along time, had many different reverb pedals, Holiest etc. etc. This thing makes any nice tube amp w/o verb, sound like you're playing through a '68 Super Reverb, its killer. And the trem is beautiful. But forget the fuzz/drive & pitch shifter. For the reverb & trem, this pedal has done them amazingly well!! A definate keeper

9. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i had one and used a volume pedal with it, was fun, polyphonic pitch shifting works as a chorus too so it's like reverb, trem, od, fuzz, chorus and pitch shifting for farting around or grabbing one pedal to jam with it's fun and it's inexpensive

i'd like to hack it and remove the limits on the pitch shifter i bet you it's capable of shifting full octaves then it would be close to a micro pog i'm betting, probably requires firmware hack but you never know... pedal should builders hack this thing into a holy pog

10. dreed

dreed Member

Can you get a good choppy sound out of the trem? I like the idea of being able to control the speed of the trem with an expression pedal, but really like a more chopped tremolo sound? will it do this?

11. mprvise

mprvise Member

I've never tried to get hard chop out of the trem, but my guess is no.

One thing about the trem - it's unique in that there seems to be a slight bit of reverb, and a very slight almost chorusy thing going on with it as well. I like it. I've got around eight devices that can do trem, and none are quite like the Holy Stain.

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

oh ****, that reverb sounds great!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

13. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

What a fun pedal! My shipping guy was final testing one today and I had to go over and check it out, he was getting amazing sounds. We hooked up an EV5 expression pedal and it's really great. I may have to try one on my jamming board and see if I can use it.

14. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

I love that pedal. The reverbs are REALLY good. If it shifted an octave up I could replace several pedals.

15. mprvise

mprvise Member

Update: I've been using mine on gigs where I don't take the board and with amps that don't have reverb. Will be using it again this weekend. Well worth the $80.00 I spent. :AOK

16. Companyman

Companyman Member

is it possible to mod the pitchshifter on the Holy Stain to do an octave up/down?

17. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

only gripe about it is that you can't do tremelo and reverb at the same time

18. Companyman

Companyman Member

there is reverb in the tremolo on mine.