Holy Stain Pitch Shift

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jwri9790, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

so i'm looking at a cheap, but satisfactory, pitch shifting pedal that can do whammy effects like the RATM "killing in the name of" solo and radiohead "airbag" madness. i've noticed that the EHX holy stain has pitch shifting and an expression pedal input. if i plug an expression pedal in and put it in pitch shift mode can it emulate those sounds? i've read rumours that it can, but no real evidence.

anyone?

2. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

Doesn't Morello use a Digitech Whammy for pitch shifting?
    How about one of those Boss Pitch Shifters - PS-5 or PS-6 ??
    Not sure if these work in your budget though.

3. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I knew the EHX Ring Thing does the Whammy thing with an expression pedal. Wasn't aware that the Holy Stain can. Know nothing about that unit, actually.

4. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

Yes he uses a Whammy.

I thought about the PS-6, but want true bypass switch.

5. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

Ring Thing is more expensive and I only really want it for Pitch Shifting. If the Holy Stain can do the same Whammy as the Ring Thing I'll be sweet.

6. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I just watched Dan Miller's demo of the Holy Stain. I learned that it does a third up and a fourth down only. The Ring thing does up to two octaves up or down. It is pricier. I kind of want one though.

7. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

those 3rd up and 4th dsown is not gonna cut it fo RATM, even if it could do a whammy with expression pedal.

8. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

The Stain's pitch shift is kind of an afterthought, in my opinion. Basically, the Stain is just accessing the factory programmed effects presets in the Spin FV-1.

You're going to need something more purpose-built to get what you want.

9. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

so maybe a ring thing or ps-6. whammy is too big. any other cheaper alternatives?

10. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

No the pitch shifting on the HolyStain sucks....only a 3rd down and only up to a 4th up (not even a 5th up EHX???) and the latency is really bad. Noticeably bad.

If you want those sounds, you're gonna need to find the real deal...a whammy or ring thing

11. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

The Ring Thing is a great pedal not just for pitch shifting (which it does quite well), but it also does ring mod (duh), vibe, tremolo...

12. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I agree with others that the pitch shifting is the Holy Stain's weakest function by far. The verb is great though, it has more control than many reverb pedals.

13. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

If you're looking for an inexpensive option, Behringer makes a PS-6 clone, the US600, that you might want to look into. I don't know if it is true-bypass, but it is inexpensive (JPY 4,000 or US $50), and has a small footprint.

14. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

Yeah I use the US600, it sounds pretty good and can do chords, for a simple whammy option it rocks the house!

15. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I'd stay away from the Holy Stain for pitch-shifting as well. The range is limited and the latency is insane. It does a decent detune/double-track, but that's about it. The Holy Stain is more of a Reverb/Tremolo machine.

16. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I just bought the Ring Thing on eBay for $187. Can't wait for it to arrive. I'll let you know how it works as a whammy pedal when I get it.

17. losergeek

losergeek Member

I actually really like the pitch shift with an expression pedal but it's probably not the range you're looking for. It is nice for little weird flourishes on on leads though and the other thing I like to do is set it at a 50/50 mix with the pitch just slightly off axis to produce a synthy doubling effect.

18. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

I just got a Timmy in the mail and I wasn't impressed. Going to sell it and get a Ring Thing. Thanks for all the responses.

19. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

Good luck with the Ring Thing - hope it works out - ring mods are cool too.

I just picked up a PS-5 used here in Tokyo and I'm going to give this a try - it's not perfect, there are weird artifacts and some wobble some times, but maybe that's part of the charm.

20. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

The pitch shifting on the Holy Stain is sub-par. Bad tracking, no 5th up, etc etc.