Homage, flattery or plain rip off

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, May 13, 2005.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

A few monthsback I got the idea to record a smooth style ballad after having listened to a few CDs with Foreplay. After having written and recorded it I realized that it was very much like one of the Foreplay track. So much that I'm worried if it's legal to post it at all. The melody and the guitar playing however is all my own which is easy to tell as the guitar player on the Foreplay tune is Larry Carlton. I do think that my playing is very much influenced by Mr C even though I'm nowhere near his finesse and elegance. I also realize that my left hand was too stiff when I recorded this so my intonation is off here and there.

Anyway, enough excuses. Here it is, warts and all:
    Afterglow

Let me know wat you think :)

Cheers,

Mats N

2. gsozz

gsozz Member

Real player required a software update (which was not available) before it could play this selection.:(

3. journo

journo Member

Hi gsozz,

Sorry to hear that. It works OK on my computer. What are you running?

Mats N

4. Normster

Normster Member

I'd call it homage...and a mighty sweet homage at that.

I really like the direction you're going with your music lately, Mats. I've been a big fan of Fourplay and Larry Carlton for a long time and it's inspiring to hear how you capture their essence. Kinda makes me want to take the day off and jam to LC CDs. ;)

5. journo

journo Member

Hi Norm,

Thanks for listening. The tune I'm working on now is sort of inspired by LC and Steely Dan. I think it has sort of a "funny" groove to it. Will be interesting to see what you think. The other tune I'm working on has been resting for some time but Myron's THD Flexi clip he just posted gave me direction and inspiration to get on with it. The Gear Page is an awsome place for information, inspiration and, not the least, encouragement.

Cheers,

Mats N

6. Moe Humble

Moe Humble Member

NICE.

How about sharing the BT?

I also build keyboard based BT as well.. tho none sound as polished as yours! VERY nice Drums and piano..

I will post them too, soon.